Duck Training - And cool video :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by enriquec, Nov 3, 2014.

1. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    All over youtube I've seen ducks trained in similar ways to other pets. I'm really good at training animals (mammals) and kids lol. But not really to do tricks. More Dog Whisper style.

I'm having no luck with the ducks though. I haven't tried real hard to be fair. And I've 'trained' them to be like wild ducks.

A few things are starting to bug me tho. All my fault.. They have very much formed a flock, and don't treat me like a part of it. They "decide" went to do what I want. Things as basic as following or coming when I say. Things they used to always do.

Today, for the first time I did something I'm personally against, and makes me feel 'cheap.' I used food lol Even with the food, they're not even close to 100%. Sometimes all it takes is 1-3 that are either with me, or against me, either way that influences the group waayyy more than me. If I'm in front of them, with food, ok they'll eat. If I start putting some distance, it all becomes a group decision.

My wants are simple. They always used to come when I said to. I want that back. That's really the main one. I'm trying to take them to new areas. I feel sooo cheap using food. And not good about resorting to that, and not succeeding. Did I just make them grow-up and that's that?

Its very teenage childlike. They're cool with me, they like me. We can all be sitting together. But if they can tell I'm trying to 'manipulate' them, it changes. They'll start running away from me if I want them to come! And other similar things.

After that, I might be interested in other training stuff. For the most part they are trained how I want. Not going in the pool, garden, pond, etc. But this video I thought was awesome, worth sharing. Makes me want them to AT LEAST obey me [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    P.S. Is there a way to post videos like this using the mobile version of the site?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have found that I need to spend a minimum of time just hanging out with the ducks, as many days as possible, and they remain cooperative. If my schedule prevents me from the usual (minimal) hangout time, it shows.

Don't feel cheap. The food is a gesture that they appreciate. And I think it is for their health and well-being that you want them to do certain things, you are not just trying to amuse yourself (right? [​IMG]) . . . If I need the ducks to go from Point A to Point B pronto (big storm is coming, for example), I grab the red bowl, the peas and we get to safety quickly. No guilt.

3. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a really funny video those ducks look so funny when they all bunch together!

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Why is food as a positive reinforcement a point of shame for you? It's a wonderful training tool and excellent motivator. That goes double with ducks!

5. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    Lol I just watched the video again. Great

You guys are right about the food. Its just a weird thing of mine. Reinforcing.. Makes me feel like behaviors are less legitimate. They have ulterior motives. I have high standards for what deserves reward, or punishment.

Like giving a dog a treat for sitting, when it knows that's what I want. (Hypothetically, I don't do those kind of tricks/training)

I definitely teaching for their own, or my own good.

I think you nailed it @Amiga I haven't been spending enough time with them.

6. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Mine are the same; if I don't spend enough time with the flock- then they see their arse with me!
    But they are easily brought back round over the weekend when I put a few hours aside for them.

And yes ducks very much like to make their own minds up, and don't like to be messed with if they aren't in the mood.
    It's one of my favourite things about ducks; when they consider you one of them- there's no mistaking it!

There's also the liklihood that for every video posted of ducks seemingly following commands, there's probably a hundred videos they didn't post of ducks ignoring the same commands!

Personally I'd just enjoy my time with the ducks, and if they start doing as I ask, well that's fabulous!
    But if I need to get them somewhere quickly and reliably, I'll just herd them with the pond net like I do at bedtime :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by