Duck Treats

For treats, ours love love love love love frozen peas and freeze-dried mealworms. And any sort of fresh greens - lettuce, chard, kale, etc. The tougher greens they like a little wilty. But really, the peas are the big hit - they like 'em straight out of the bag, though I've started keeping the open bag in the fridge just because my hands are getting cold. They love their kiddie pool, but with colder wetter weather I've been giving them a smaller tub (cut-down storage tub) and a waterer. They can have the big pool on weekends in our back yard, where it doesn't muddy up their pen more than it already is.

The peas have led to them meeting us at the gate, eating out of our hands, and sometimes trying to come in our back door if they feel like we're neglecting them. They love peas.

I too have a question about treats, can I give my rouens and mallard live minnows in their pool? I haven't heard about anyone doing that so I thought I'd ask before I try. Has anyone ever tried giving them minnows? Do they try to eat them or just ignore them? More importantly, are they safe for them? I am fairly new with ducks and want to try different treats for my duckies.
Thanks - Hannah H.

I too have a question about treats, can I give my rouens and mallard live minnows in their pool? I haven't heard about anyone doing that so I thought I'd ask before I try. Has anyone ever tried giving them minnows? Do they try to eat them or just ignore them? More importantly, are they safe for them? I am fairly new with ducks and want to try different treats for my duckies.
Thanks - Hannah H.

Yes, and they usually love it. I've never done minnows, but mine have gotten goldfish a couple times and it's entertaining to watch them catch them, I always thought the goldfish would be easier for them to see than minnows, because I've gotten some that were brown and those were the last to be eaten.

As a treat I feed my ducks and chicken live superworms (actual name). I buy them off Amazon for $30 (includes shipping) and it is 1000 worms. They love them!!! Of course it is a treat and at only 3 cents a worm I don't mind. High in protein and good source of nutrients. Petco carries superworms too but small quantity and lower quality

I also forgot to mention dandelions and grass clippings - when my husband mows the lawn he puts some of the grass clippings in the pen, they like that a lot on the days they don't get to go in our back yard. Also, I dig out dandelions in the mornings (we have ample supply) and give them those. They love them, as well as the baby slugs and worms and other bugs hiding in them.

On the days when they are out in our yard, they forage like mad. Especially since it started raining again and everything is green and the worms are close to the surface.
smile.png

Our ducks LOVE cat food, believe it or not! When we let them loose in the mornings they come around to us and wait for us to get some and throw it too them. And it's actually really good for them too, and if you show them, it helps get the feathers in good condition. And they can eat it fine too, because our ducks and Call Ducks and they can swallow the pieces whole no problem! :)

Mine love the sweet clover that grows in my flower beds. They will go bonkers for tomato chunks and chunks of grapes but I don't give them to much fruit because it has so much natural sugars but man do they grow crazy when they get it.

Back
Top Bottom