duck trembling behavior

RachG75

Chirping
Jun 5, 2016
Central Illinois
I have 2 healthy 14-wk-old Pekin females. When I approach the dominant one to give her treats, pet or pick her up, she trembles...mostly just her neck and head. It looks like fear/nervousness/chill, but I really don't believe it is. She does it especially when I sit outside and she nibbles on my clothing. I think she might be preening me? Is this behavior something ducks do to each other? The other thing I wondered is if it could be a dominance thing. I have seen the less dominant duck do it, but infrequently.

Is she just excited or happy to see me and to get the treats maybe? She does it even when I don't have treats. Both of my ducks are very tame; they are outside all day and are locked up at dusk. They usually come looking for me at dusk because they still won't go in their house without me picking them up and putting them inside. Silly ducks! They do like their consistency and routine!
yesss.gif

Excitement. Claiming you as hers. There are many theory's on this behavior. You might try looking under vibrating head, shivering, quivering, shaking duck posts. It's an odd duck looking duck behavior that seems to be pretty common. Some think it's anger. Observe and go with your gut. Best thoughts.

Excitement. Claiming you as hers. There are many theory's on this behavior. You might try looking under vibrating head, shivering, quivering, shaking duck posts. It's an odd duck looking duck behavior that seems to be pretty common. Some think it's anger. Observe and go with your gut. Best thoughts.
Thanks Jennifleur. I had looked under trembling; not much there. There is much more to read under vibrating duck. lol. Everyone has a different answer! I guess going with my gut is the best advice. I now think it means more than one thing; ducks have limited ways to express themselves, right?! haha

Back
Top Bottom