Duck trust???

Okay bread is only 19 cents for live stock feed over here. so I will feed them maybe 1 piece between the 6 of them a week? Is that okay?
My flock loves bread, it's okay for them to have a slice between them 1X a week as a treat, But it is carbs and will make them fat so limit it to 1X a week only use it too get to know them better, sitting on the ground pinch off small pieces and toss to them gradually tossing closer and closer to you till you have taught them to eat out of your hand,may only take a few days make take longer so be patient. When my flock is out foraging and I want them to come to me I can go outside with a bag of bread and shake it they come running. I can also use dried mealworms in a empty coffee can and shake it and they come running, I also whistle so start training them to come either by whistling or calling something like come duckies time for treat. always give them a treat when they come and they will begin to associate you with something really cool. Best way to make friends with ducks is through their tummies.
smile.png
thawed lil green peas and chopped lettuce also works well. You just want to make sure they are getting the best feed possible especially if you have layers that way you'll hopefully avoid any problems that can arise with egg laying.

I got four ducks from Ideal Poultry & they act like that too. You would think they were wild ducks! I can be halfway across the yard & they will freak out. I'm going to try and bring them more treats.

Last edited:
I got four ducks from Ideal Poultry & they act like that too. You would think they were wild ducks! I can be halfway across the yard & they will freak out. I'm going to try and bring them more treats.

Mine love dried meal worms, thawed lil green peas, shredded lettuce, I hang whole heads of cabbage out and they have a blast eating on that. In the sticky's at top of duck thread there is a list of treats that are safe for ducks. Best way besides treats to win over your ducks is to just spend time with them sitting quietly with them. Or bring out the shovel mine will come when they see me with a shovel thinking they might get a worm or 2.

They are getting more accustom to me. I will feed them the bread and does anyone know how much meal worms generally cost (Michigan) I don't have to much spending money.

:welcome

My husband trained them when he whistles they get treats. So now, when he whistles they come running. It makes things a lot easier. We throw out uneaten bread from toast etc. A little bit now and then does not hurt. My ducks are not crazy about it though. They however LOVE frozen peas. It is about the highest protein veggie so no wonder they like it plus frozen peas are sweet. Canned green beans are also well liked.

They are getting more accustom to me. I will feed them the bread and does anyone know how much meal worms generally cost (Michigan) I don't have to much spending money.

welcome-byc.gif
TSC has mealworms but I don't remember the price but you can look on their web site. they are pretty pricey though. There are other treats they like too though thawed lil green peas for one, a big bag at our grocery store is a lil over 3.00 and it's a big family size bag.

Mine love dried meal worms, thawed lil green peas, shredded lettuce, I hang whole heads of cabbage out and they have a blast eating on that. In the sticky's at top of duck thread there is a list of treats that are safe for ducks. Best way besides treats to win over your ducks is to just spend time with them sitting quietly with them. Or bring out the shovel mine will come when they see me with a shovel thinking they might get a worm or 2.
Thanks! I think I have some peas at home i'll try today!

I will do the pea thing and probably go buy some cat food. The peas seem cheap enough that we can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom