Duck unable to walk after "makin' Bacon" with my Drake. Help??? Ideas?

Tipchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Oregon
Hi all..

I've got a Pekin that is having a little trouble. She and my Drake have been "Bumping Uglies" in the pool and I realized that she hadn't gotten out the other day. When I put her onto land she is unable to walk. Her legs just stay behind her in a "swimming" posture. She isn't standing at all. I've had her separated out now for two day's, and this morning she laid her very first egg.. I'm just wondering.. is it possible that she had maybe popped out a hip or something by "Making Bacon" with my drake?? Or is it something more serious? She doesn't seem to be in any pain. She has a good appetite..no slouch on packing away the food. Any ideas???

Thanks a Ton!

I know this is quite late to reply but I was searching for other people who had similar experiences with their female ducks. New to raising ducks I rescued 8 ducks, 4 Pekin(3 females, 1 male) and 4 Mallards(all males). I had them in a isolation coop together before transferring them to an outside living situation. I had a large kiddie pool set up in the outdoor area. The first day they were in their new outside area they all bathed and seemed to enjoy it. The second day three of the Pekin ducks did not get out of the water. New to this I didn't see anything wrong with a duck in the water. Well, by the second day the three Pekin ducks were still in the water and didn't look so good. So we decided to empty the water and force them to be out of the water for awhile. When they were removed from the water they were unable to move they were so weak from being in the water without food, and the males quickly molested them. We separated the males from the females and gave the girls food and water. It took about a week before the first female could walk and a week after that before the next could walk. The third female still couldn't walk a few days ago so I have been feeding and hydrating her every couple hours and attempting to encourage her to walk and to swim to gain strength. So far it seems like she is making improvement and regaining use of her legs. In the future I will be more aware of mating ratios. It was clear that the three girls would rather suffer in the water and starve then come out and deal with the boys.

I know this is quite late to reply but I was searching for other people who had similar experiences with their female ducks. New to raising ducks I rescued 8 ducks, 4 Pekin(3 females, 1 male) and 4 Mallards(all males). I had them in a isolation coop together before transferring them to an outside living situation. I had a large kiddie pool set up in the outdoor area. The first day they were in their new outside area they all bathed and seemed to enjoy it. The second day three of the Pekin ducks did not get out of the water. New to this I didn't see anything wrong with a duck in the water. Well, by the second day the three Pekin ducks were still in the water and didn't look so good. So we decided to empty the water and force them to be out of the water for awhile. When they were removed from the water they were unable to move they were so weak from being in the water without food, and the males quickly molested them. We separated the males from the females and gave the girls food and water. It took about a week before the first female could walk and a week after that before the next could walk. The third female still couldn't walk a few days ago so I have been feeding and hydrating her every couple hours and attempting to encourage her to walk and to swim to gain strength. So far it seems like she is making improvement and regaining use of her legs. In the future I will be more aware of mating ratios. It was clear that the three girls would rather suffer in the water and starve then come out and deal with the boys.
Have you checked in over at the Duck Forum?

Back
Top Bottom