Duck vent problems

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
One of my female ducks has a problem and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. This female has had issues with egg binding and severe prolapse in the past (she's had her entire uterus come out of her body twice last summer, but I was able to treat it with help from a vet and some Baytril antibiotic). However, this time, something else is going on. Two weeks ago on Saturday, we noticed she was acting weird so we checked her and she was bound with not one egg, but two. We got them out and soaked her in Epsom salt. Two days later, she was bound again, so we got the egg out and she bled a lot from her vent. We decided to bring her inside so she could be in the dark for a while. She was okay for a couple of days. Then, on Wednesday of that week, she was bound again. We got the egg out and she bled a little bit this time from her vent. We soaked her in Epsom salt. I did this the whole week, but her vent didn't seem to be getting better... I decided to start her on some Baytril I had from the time she had prolapsed before since she was discharging a clear fluid. Tomorrow will make one week on the antibiotic. I've been soaking her once a day in Epsom salt and putting Preparation H on and in her vent.

She's still bleeding some and it feels really swollen just inside her vent. She also has lost her appetite and I can barely get her to eat much, which means she's also not pooping much and is losing weight. I'm thinking about taking her back to my vet if I can't get this swelling down. However, my vet isn't an avian vet and the last avian vet I had to look at one of my other ducks did more harm than good for her.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on since she's still bleeding and swollen after a week of antibiotics. Could her organs somehow be twisted inside?

Here is what her vent looked like yesterday.

Attachments

• Sandy's vent.jpeg
    Sandy's vent.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom