Duck Vent Prolapse

She’s been in much better spirits today. Still won’t hold in the mass, but she seems to have more energy. She’s eating and drinking more, preening herself, more vocal, and I even took her outside (in a safe, contained area) for just a little bit while I was doing chores for the other animals. She seemed to really love that little break from being inside. Thanks again for all of your help. I’ll keep you posted.
That is really good to hear that she is feeling better. Hopefully she will continue to improve. The cyst my girl had was not easy to get in. I had to push it in just the right way. You just need to be careful not to hurt. Getting the inflammation down with the hydrocortisone and anti-inflammatory should help. If the mass won't go in, a vet would be the best for accessing it if that is an option.

She is an adorable duck! She looks like such a sweetie. I hope she pulls through.

Hey there- I have a female Indian Runner duck (unsure of age, she was a rescue) who has a vent prolapse that developed yesterday. We’ve let her soak in warmish epsom water, used vetericyn to keep it clean, kept her in a quiet dark area, and tried putting the prolapse back in. We get it back in, but she pushes it back out again. Today, we also noticed white calcium-like crystals around her vent and there is also a small solid mass hanging out (about the size of a large grape). I’m not sure what to do. I want so badly to save her but I know she’s in pain. Please any advice on what to do or how to keep everything in or what this mass could be, would be appreciated. Thank you

Attached photo is from yesterday before any treatment. The amount she pushes back out now is much smaller…and pretty much only the mass.
The calcium like crystals are probably urates...the white part of a stool. The crystals you describe sounds like dehydration...not enough moisture

@Jersmom09 how is your girl doing?
She passed away either late last night or early this morning. She had been doing so much better and acting like her old self, so I’m a little shocked. I went in this morning to get her going for the day and she had passed in her sleep. Completely heartbroken 💔

Thank you for posting all the advice and progress! I’m having the same with my duck except I don’t have the space to bring her in the house. I’m going to try and move things around in the dining room and give it a try. I’m sure the cats will be interested but I do have cages. I bought her in today and gave her a bath and she stayed in the bathroom til she dried out a bit. We are at 19 degrees for the next few days and I’ve been working with this prolapse for a week now. Some days it seems smaller than others.

Back
Top Bottom