Duck vibrates head and then nips at me?

Moreducksplease

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Not sure how to describe it. I have two Pekin males. Once in awhile one will come up to me and his head will vibrate like he is very angry and then will jump at me with his beak. It doesn't hurt and at one time or another both have done it. Especially if I am putting medicine on the other so I am pretty sure it is some sort of dominance thing. It is actually kind of funny because it is a lot of warning before the attack/jump. Ducks are just sooo cute!!! They love me and fluff out etc. come running when they see me so they like me and are use to me being in their pen. ANy ideas of why ducks do this? TIA

I have had my ducks vibrate their necks at me before. I feel like it means they are overstimulated and want me to stop something. It always happened when I touched them, which I don't do anymore and they no longer vibrate at me. They still like me, run to greet me, hang out with me, ect.

But there isn't agreement among those of us who are close with our ducks about what the neck vibration means. Some people think it is agression, some people think it is affection. 🤷‍♀️

My son's daft drake runs up and then starts nodding his head down to my son's and occasionally my husband's feet. he nearly trips them up and often gets his own feet stood on. Daft drake doesn't do it to me but I think with the head down to the feet/ground it isn't aggressive. He does run his head with extended neck up my arm when I reach into the pen to take out the water tubs to clean them or when I reach in to fill the feed bowl. I think that is aggressive but he is actually defending his two mates: i can see I seem threatening bending down over the coup.

He doesn't do much vibrating: I only recall it as being a stress reaction if he has been picked up and petted. He puts up with petting but isnt a pet duck that likes shows of affection. Hes a backyard duck! Overall, I think vibrating is a stress reaction

They vibrate at each other before mouting and before showing dominance. I think it is more likely that he either thinks your arm is attractive or he wants to show it who's boss. I don't believe it has anything to do with stress.

Mine are all a very close-knit group. So I know for a fact they're not stressing each other out. 😁

They vibrate at each other before mouting and before showing dominance. I think it is more likely that he either thinks your arm is attractive or he wants to show it who's boss. I don't believe it has anything to do with stress.

Mine are all a very close-knit group. So I know for a fact they're not stressing each other out. 😁
Do your females ever vibrate at other females? I'm curious because I only have females and I have never seen them vibrate at each other, only me. I spend many hours a day observing them and they regularly mate with each other.

Oh yes! Frequently lol.
Fascinating! I feel like I have a good grasp of duck communication/body language because of the time I spend with my flock. But because of different interpretations of the neck vibration I question my understanding of this one.

@SolarDuck has seen mother ducks do it to ducklings at parks. But I believe they were muscovies - so perhaps the communication is a bit different.

Back
Top Bottom