duck vomiting water, please help!

DarayTala

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Just a little bit ago my partner our one of our housemates went to go say hello to our duckies. They are four week old muscovies, and are at the moment living in a large brooder in my laundry room. My partner came up to tell me that when my housemate when to pick up our largest duck, that the duck seemed to vomit up water and then ran away. When he tried again to pick him up, the duck did the same thing and also defecated. When my partner went in a little later and tried to pick up the duck a third time, the duck vomited up a little more water again. He also realized after telling me this that they have gone through an abnormal amount of drinking water today, I'm not sure if that is relevant. It isn't any hotter than normal in my laundry room, so I'm not sure why they are drinking more, other then them getting larger. I have read that sometimes ducks vomit water or defecate when scared, but our big guy is usually the bravest of the bunch and doesn't usually seem very frightened at human interaction. They are not cuddled constantly and haven't imprinted on us, but we try and handle them a few times a day so they are used to it, in case we need to.

So, is there anything else that could be causing our boy to vomit like this? If fear is the only thing, is there a reason why he would suddenly be more frightened now? I know hes not used to my housemate, but my partner spends the most time with them out of all of us. If he had only done this with my housemate it would not have surprised me, but since he acted the same way with my partner I have to wonder if he is having some serious health problems, and what I can do about it.

Thank you for any help you can give!

My largest just did the same thing, I don't know why, he seems fine now , but I'm still worried

I hope I don't step on toes, but maybe the way the duck is being picked up, squeezes water out of her or him.

Let's step back a little bit. Do the ducklings have food with water 24/7?

What is the temperature in the brooder?

Yes of course food and water 24/7. I'm gentle so he/she isn't getting squished. They are plenty warm, seemingly healthy and happy. Only 1 of my 2 does this. I'm new to ducks so just concerned about whether it's normal or something to be worried about.

Back
Top Bottom