Duck waddle

ali04

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
I recently got a new duck from a farm, and he was extremely overweight, and I noticed that his head sways side to side more than my other ducks. At first, I thought was due to him having a lot of weight, but he has lost weight because of his more proper eating habits. I have been giving his niacin and oregano (to help if there is any inflation in his legs), but he hasn't shown really any improvement. He doesn't seem like it his bothering him, but he sometimes using his wing to catch himself. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what's going on.

I recently got a new duck from a farm, and he was extremely overweight, and I noticed that his head sways side to side more than my other ducks. At first, I thought was due to him having a lot of weight, but he has lost weight because of his more proper eating habits. I have been giving his niacin and oregano (to help if there is any inflation in his legs), but he hasn't shown really any improvement. He doesn't seem like it his bothering him, but he sometimes using his wing to catch himself. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what's going on.
Could it be that he is deformed a bit?

How old is this duck?
Sounds like it may be a White Layer if solid white like Pekin but with pink bill. It might be suffering from a niacin deficiency since it was overweight and may not have been fed a proper diet to receive the amount of niacin ducks need daily for strong legs.

How old is this duck?
Sounds like it may be a White Layer if solid white like Pekin but with pink bill. It might be suffering from a niacin deficiency since it was overweight and may not have been fed a proper diet to receive the amount of niacin ducks need daily for strong legs.
I will see I give him some niacin here and there but i am not sure how much is too much

Ducks need at least 100mgs of niacin daily not flush-free or time-released. The best to use is liquid B complex it works the best when one already has an issue with walking. If your in the USA TSC carries one called Durvet Liquid B Complex. 1 ml over a tasty treat daily for this one.

Do you know the age of this duck? If he/she has been like this for a long time it may not help, but It's always worth trying,you never know.

Last edited:
Ducks need at least 100mgs of niacin daily not flush-free or time-released. The best to use is liquid B complex it works so the best when one already has an issue with walking. If your in the USA TSC carries one called Durvet Liquid B Complex. 1 ml over a tasty treat daily for this one.

Do you know the age of this duck? If he/she has been like this for a long time it may not help, but It's always worth trying,you never know.
I was told that he was a year old which surprised me with how big he is

Back
Top Bottom