Duck walking on tip toes???

I was wondering if anyone may know what may be going on with Carmella,my female Pekin duck.
Best way to describe what she is doing is she looks like she is trying to walk on her tip toes. She gets around but I also think she seems to also be resting a little more.
I am just guessing but it seems like I noticed the behavior a few days after she got spooked by one of my dogs.
Any help is appreciated.

I would also like to know if someone knows what this is. We have 16 khaki campbells and one of them has just started walking on her toes and using her tail as a conunter balance. Our are only about 12 weeks old. She seems to be eating and swims really well. Just doesn't walk like a duck (no pun intended :) ).

I believe my duck may have injuried herself running, but being yours are only 12 weeks old I would first look at their diet. It seems like young ducks have leg issues if they do not get the correct nutrients.

Wow. She really IS toe walking, isn't she?! Definitely not normal duck walk. Her back pads (heel area) aren't swollen, nothing notable? It's interesting that she's doing it with both feet. If it were me, I think I'd add Brewer's Yeast to the feed and wait and see. If it's an injury/sprain the additional BY will help support healing and time is the real healer. If it continues and otherwise she's doing fine, it has a neurological "feel" to me, and may just be how she rolls.

Our duck Vicky, a Bantam Black East Indie was born bowlegged and had a hard time walking. Now she's an adult and walks like your duck. We give Brewers Yeast regularly and she gets around easier than she did before. At this point we're not too concerned, we just keep an eye on her.

Wow. She really IS toe walking, isn't she?! Definitely not normal duck walk. Her back pads (heel area) aren't swollen, nothing notable? It's interesting that she's doing it with both feet. If it were me, I think I'd add Brewer's Yeast to the feed and wait and see. If it's an injury/sprain the additional BY will help support healing and time is the real healer. If it continues and otherwise she's doing fine, it has a neurological "feel" to me, and may just be how she rolls.
I feed pellets and scratch grain and they free range all day. I have 22 ducks so how much BY do I add to the feed? Or can I just dose her orally and what would be the best way to do that. I will also check the bottoms of her feet again but the tip toing seem to start shortly after she was startled and ran from one of my dogs.

I am sorry I forgot to take pictures. I decided to make a duck shoe and bandaged the rest of the leg after applying more antibiotic ointment for now. I am hoping to find some antibiotics in town tomorrow as I do not really have time to go out of town :(

Back
Top Bottom