1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck water needs and cold climate

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by forester7, Apr 6, 2017.

1. forester7

forester7 New Egg

Nov 21, 2016
    I have a small hobby farm. I have chickens and I have interest in trying ducks, but I don't have a pond and I live in a cold climate with long winters.

Is it possible to keep ducks healthy and happy inside a barn during cold winter months?
    How could I provide them with the water they need inside a barn without it being too labor intensive and make too much mess in the barn?
    In the summer, how large a water source do they need if outside? An old tub? A small plastic basin?
    Maybe I should just stick with chickens?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. littlelisa2412

littlelisa2412 Just Hatched

Feb 17, 2017
    Theyll be just fine in a barn. They actually still like being out in the snow too. I use a 5 gall livestock bucket for them to swim in and a heated water bowl outside to drink. You just need to probably keep the water outaide or your barn will be wet lol

As far as summer water kiddie pools work well. Ive got an old tub I plan on using since its got a drain already for easy cleaning. Get ducks. Youll love them

3. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

We live in town with a small backyard so our six ducks don't have a pond. They have two 9-gallon pond-liner type tubs in their pen and a small kiddie pool in the garden. The ones in their pens get dumped out and refilled every morning and the kiddie pool about every few days, much less often in the winter. We use livestock waterer de-icers to keep their pen water from freezing which isn't hard for us since their pen is right next to the garage but that might be more difficult if your barn doesn't have electricity. Oh and their pen is lined with washed pea gravel that can just be hosed down when it gets poopy.

If I were you, I would make a pen/run for them that was attached to your barn so they could safely run around all winter and keep some small pools of water out there for them - that way you can just dump it out.

We live north-east of Cleveland, OH, just a few blocks from Lake Erie so while we don't get as much snow as the surrounding areas, we get a lot of freezing wind. That's one of the reasons I chose ducks over chickens - ducks are built to deal with the cold better. I read somewhere that "ducks don't need insulation - ducks are insulation!" ;) The ducks have a 4' by 8' house that they can hang out in during cold weather, but unless it's really, really cold or windy, they are usually out in their pen, eating and drinking and bathing and pooping and having a good ol' ducky time. They still like to run around in the garden too, even though their isn't really anything for them to forage.

Here's some videos of our ducks in snow:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by