duck wing deformity

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brummie_animal_lover, Jun 17, 2011.

1. brummie_animal_lover

brummie_animal_lover New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    hi,i adopted a mallard from a friend who is a vet,it would have just been left to die so i took it not really having a clue,but anyway this mallard duck which turns out to be female (i think) has developed a defored wing. it doesn't seem to bother her and she can still flap her wings fine but it does tend to get caught on bushes when she gets over excited seeing her breakfast treats of cucumber and tomato.this orphan was found in the road and although at just a few days,the wings looked like little buds,maybe soething happened then,i'm not sure. i'm happy to take her to see a vet but worried that the shock may upset her as she's only used to me picking her up,etc.... (p.s. i couldn't resist getting her another duckling friend for company) so i now have 2 ducks at 5 & 8 weeks and they are both adorable and get on great with my guinea pigs [​IMG] - any suggestions on the wing would be great,if i can work out how to do it then i can load a photo, kind regards

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi and [​IMG] A photo would help a lot....also we all on here love duck photos [​IMG]

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Hmm sounds like possible angel wing could u post pics?

4. brummie_animal_lover

brummie_animal_lover New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    it's 4.30am here in UK so in a few hours when the ducks come out i am going to take a photo but i'm pretty sure it's not angel wing as i googled some images of that. it's a whole section of the wing just totally sticking out and i'm hoping it's not bothering her. someone who used to keep chickens advised me that a vet would probably just remove the whole piece that is protruding to stop it from catching on things but i know there can be a concern with sedation or anaesthetic - anyway,i shall try to upload a photo - i uploaded one of when they were very small but not sure how to get the photo onto a page on this forum [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by