Duck wings

Evenstar416

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2019
Hi there!

I have a 3 year old Pekin female and her wings this year look awful. I've gotten her on feather fixer, but no luck any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20210815_152415.jpg
    20210815_152415.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 12
At that age, a Pekin's feather quality will start to decline.
Many issues, including lack of hygiene practices (bathing), inactivity, filthy environment, poor diet, ectoparasites, can all predispose a bird to this problem.
It is unlikely you will see normal feathers until the bird does a complete molt.
You can help prevent the next feather set from deteriorating by ensuring she gets in the water regularly and is receiving a correct diet to address her nutritional needs.
Doing these, do not be surprised if you still see some deteriorated feathers, as Pekins simply do not maintain a good feather coat as they age.

Many issues, including lack of hygiene practices (bathing), inactivity, filthy environment, poor diet, ectoparasites, can all predispose a bird to this problem.
It is unlikely you will see normal feathers until the bird does a complete molt.
You can help prevent the next feather set from deteriorating by ensuring she gets in the water regularly and is receiving a correct diet to address her nutritional needs.
Doing these, do not be surprised if you still see some deteriorated feathers, as Pekins simply do not maintain a good feather coat as they age.
Is this due to breeding for meat? Not intended to live that long?

They have access to fresh water in a pool every day, clean bedding, and they have feather fixer by Nutrena. Havent noticed any parasites *thank god*. My male looks like a million bucks and both my females look sad, but this one is the worst. Her bathing habits are pretty good. I'm wondering if she just didn't full molt yet.

I agree with Isaac. A few of my females got over breed by one of my former males. While their feathers have been looking better since his departure, they are still damaged. My females are starting to molt and look all pretty again. A good molt is what she needs.
Yeah I think it is because this is my female that has been mated with the most, poor girl! Hoping she molts soon.

Back
Top Bottom