Duck with a swollen leg

Many herbs have medicinal qualities. Oregano is a natural anti inflamatory. I bought a oregano plant (Under $4 right now) and just feed my duckling fresh leaves. It seems to help.
I use dried oregano in my ff have for close to 2 yrs I have some elderly ducks that benefit from it.

That looks so sore!

My duck is in pain as well. She started walking funny a few days ago.. We found a lump under her foot... now she can't even walk. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? How can we relieve the pain?

I'd start soaking her foot in a warm epsom salt water bath. [don't let her drink the es is is also a laxative. put ES 1cup to half gal of water [very warm] mix well put duck down into bucket i find it's easier to put both legs than one. let her soak holding on to her for as long as she'll let you even 5 min is okay but longer if you can do this at least 2X a day then get some colorless iodine and after soaking and drying real well take a qtip and spread the colorless iodine over the swollen area top and bottom, the colorless iodine will draw the infection to the surface and in about 3 days you should be able to pull the scab off and pull out the plug. use the ES daily and the iodine every 3 days. keep her in an area where she can rest and keep the foot as clean as possible. Bumble foot is staff infection so make sure to wash your hands real good after treatment. Please keep us updated and treat as quickly as possible so this doesn't spread into her joints.

Any idea how much oregano I should give him? Do I just sprinkle some in their food? I'm going out to give him another round of Epsom salt therapy.

Any idea how much oregano I should give him? Do I just sprinkle some in their food?

Any idea how much oregano I should give him? Do I just sprinkle some in their food? I'm going out to give him another round of Epsom salt therapy.
Not sure how much. I tweak it based on results. I personally don't have ALOT of oregano and I'm sure fresh is better than dried (think fresh vegetables versus dehydrated, fresh have more vitamins etc right)... Dried is fine, but you will have to give more if you do dried. So I gave a little the first time, got some results but the next time I gave more and it REALLY helped. I would guess based on their size would be how much you give.

I personally fed her out of my hand, if yours isn't that tame then feed him separate. It won't hurt the other animals to ingest but do you really have that much of it? You also want to ensure HE ingests some... so for me I watched her eat it.

Mine is just a wild guess and I'm not treating anything specific other than my drake who is 10 doesn't walk so good anymore but I use 3 heaping tablespoons in the fermented feed I make and the feed is mixed in a gal bucket so it's approximately 2/3 gal of feed and 3 heaping tab of oregano. nayeli maybe able to help you on more specific dosage.

Last edited:
Not sure how much. I tweak it based on results. I personally don't have ALOT of oregano and I'm sure fresh is better than dried (think fresh vegetables versus dehydrated, fresh have more vitamins etc right)... Dried is fine, but you will have to give more if you do dried. So I gave a little the first time, got some results but the next time I gave more and it REALLY helped. I would guess based on their size would be how much you give.

I personally fed her out of my hand, if yours isn't that tame then feed him separate. It won't hurt the other animals to ingest but do you really have that much of it? You also want to ensure HE ingests some... so for me I watched her eat it.
Okay, so I tried feeding him roughly a tbsp of dried oregano leaves out of my hand. He looked at it and almost seemed interested in it, but he didn't eat any, so I mixed it in with his food. Would it work to mix some in his water, too?

He's our biggest duck and is not quick on his feet (hence the name Meatball!) He's always been pretty friendly around people, loves eating peas out of my hand and doesn't seem to mind being petted.

Have you look real good for a cut or scrape? and does it feel hot to the touch and any place on the leg feel hotter than another? 
I can't see any wounds on his leg, but I can check again next time I take him out. His leg as a whole does feel pretty warm, especially from the hock joint down to the foot. The swelling doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I can't say it's getting better either.

I can't see any wounds on his leg, but I can check again next time I take him out. His leg as a whole does feel pretty warm, especially from the hock joint down to the foot. The swelling doesn't seem to be getting worse, but I can't say it's getting better either.
from everything I have read on leg injuries they take a long time to heal, and Pekins are notorious for leg problems anyway, they are so heavy, my Muscovy drake jumped off the ramp coming out of his pool and hurt his leg he was kept on rest for about a week before I saw any change in his limping then it was probably a month before he wasn't limping at all. If your drakes leg is hot to the touch it sounds like some infection maybe in there. Might want to think about an oral antibiotic. I have a chart from Twin City poultry that list meds and what they are used for but it's specific like blood borne infections is Penicillin but if no cuts or scrapes then it may not be, the med to use and then there is meds for bacterial infections Not knowing what your dealing with really hinders the right treatment. and then the ole stand by which most feed stores carry is Oxytetracycline .Wish I knew. Keep on soaking anyway and keeping him from moving around alot but give him water therapy to keep his muscles working. We'll keep researching too.

Back
Top Bottom