Duck with BB possibly still in wound

Ravynscroft

For the Love of Duck
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Middle Tennessee
My Call duck was injured yesterday, we suspect with good reason that it is a BB gun wound... I cleaned, extracted feathers and down from the hole, disinfected the area, applied some antibiotic ointment and a small waterproof bandage to keep it clean... my worry is, the exploration of the hole did not find a BB... it is at the joint in the upper thigh, so quite possibly it was ejected when she was struggling to get to the pen, or away from me when I went to catch her...

But if it didn't, my question is that since it wasn't ingested is hardware disease still a worry or not? It's a steel BB coated with Zinc... is that small amount of zinc harmful or not to waterfowl?

Can't afford a vet, and don't want to stress her more or possibly cause more damage to her digging around for it if it won't cause complications later... tried a magnet to see if I could feel it, but that was unsuccessful...

20170521_225743.jpg

@Amiga do you have any thoughts, ideas about the hardware disease concern?

Last edited:
Zinc is only harmful to birds if it is ingested.
If it were a pellet made of lead, I would be more concerned. Or if she swallowed it.
Because it is made of steel, its possible to use a small magnetic device to retrieve it.

YOUR DUCK POSSIBLY HAS A SEPTIC WOUND.
General Septic Wound Control Treatment

Why is there no cure for some wounds?

The most common fact remains Oedema.
Oedema prevents blood and oxygen from reaching the wound exudate.
This is essential in creating a setting that cells and enzymes can migrate and function, to establish a nutritional medium, enabling energy and leukocytes to the required area to destroy bacteria.

I would say you are doing the right treatment as I got this information on duck wounds.

IE:
Hydrocolloids and moisture vapour permeable dressings have been found to greatly improve the quality of avian soft tissue wound management, decreasing wound healing times and complications.

My Call duck was injured yesterday, we suspect with good reason that it is a BB gun wound... I cleaned, extracted feathers and down from the hole, disinfected the area, applied some antibiotic ointment and a small waterproof bandage to keep it clean... my worry is, the exploration of the hole did not find a BB... it is at the joint in the upper thigh, so quite possibly it was ejected when she was struggling to get to the pen, or away from me when I went to catch her...

But if it didn't, my question is that since it wasn't ingested is hardware disease still a worry or not? It's a steel BB coated with Zinc... is that small amount of zinc harmful or not to waterfowl?

Can't afford a vet, and don't want to stress her more or possibly cause more damage to her digging around for it if it won't cause complications later... tried a magnet to see if I could feel it, but that was unsuccessful...

@Amiga do you have any thoughts, ideas about the uardware disease concern?
YOUR DUCK POSSIBLY HAS A SEPTIC WOUND.
General Septic Wound Control Treatment

Why is there no cure for some wounds?

The most common fact remains Oedema.
Oedema prevents blood and oxygen from reaching the wound exudate.
This is essential in creating a setting that cells and enzymes can migrate and function, to establish a nutritional medium, enabling energy and leukocytes to the required area to destroy bacteria.

I would say you are doing the right treatment as I got this information on duck wounds.

IE:
Hydrocolloids and moisture vapour permeable dressings have been found to greatly improve the quality of avian soft tissue wound management, decreasing wound healing times and complications.
So sad hope your little duck is ok

So far, so good... she is alert, active, eating, drinking, bathing, preening, and attempting to scratch an itch but can't quite reach her foot from her injured leg to the side of her face just yet, lol... Peg has become a most welcome and needed therapy duck... keeping her company and taking the lead in encouraging her to keep eating and bathing, etc...

20170523_151626.jpg

Peg is on the left, injured duck is on the right...

Apologies, all, for not being around as much lately.

If a magnet did not pull anything out or cause her to react, it may not be in there.

I wonder if a good metal detector would help?

Cilantro is said to help the body get rid of metals. I am not sure if it would be safe for ducks. Plenty of fresh water, as you already do, some vitamins and good wound care will go a long way. Were you able to rinse the wound well with saline or something?

my thoughts are that metal toxicity is a concern, but I don't know how much. Seems to me acids in the digestive tract would mobilize metals more than a bb in the muscle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom