Duck with broken leg (xray photos)

I think that if this were a new break, there would be more options for treating the leg. When she was younger and gimping around quickly, I assumed at that point the injury was old and she would just walk with a gimp. When it got really bad 2 weeks ago, I got really worried. She is a big bird and gaining weight quickly so I thought the extra weight was putting too much strain on her leg. After 2 weeks of oxytetracycline, she is now back to a regular gimp.

The bad leg with a huge joint

The dislocated joint

The break (this is the top view so the bone piece is on the inside of her leg)

*Update*

Unfortunately, my duck's leg took a turn for the worse. She couldn't walk at all, not one single step. I had her put down this morning :(

I'm not sure what happened to her leg to make it suddenly worse. Maybe it broke further? Maybe being a Pekin, she just gained too much weight and made it worse?

Now her buddy is quacking and quacking but no one is answering :(
I'll have to go find another duck friend.

*Update*

Unfortunately, my duck's leg took a turn for the worse. She couldn't walk at all, not one single step. I had her put down this morning :(

I'm not sure what happened to her leg to make it suddenly worse. Maybe it broke further? Maybe being a Pekin, she just gained too much weight and made it worse?

Now her buddy is quacking and quacking but no one is answering :(
I'll have to go find another duck friend.
I am soooo sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Hi, how do I know if the leg is broken, I have a baby duckling he's about four weeks old and this morning I saw him he couldn't get out, they cannot move and one of his legs is just flat and lifeless it doesn't look swollen it doesn't look like a break but how do I know.? I gave him two Epson salt baths and this looked like it made him feel better but he still cannot walk at all or get up. should I splint his leg into 2 places to see if this works. I felt his leg when he was having the baths and it just feels wobbly and hanging but I don't feel any breaks.
Any advice please?
Also, will a regular vet see him if I take him for an X-ray, he is a Muscovy wild duck I think.....help. I don't mind keeping him immobile if this will help for a couple of weeks.

I might not be the best person to give advice since I have a 0% success rate, but my initial reaction is to keep him immobile. Palp the leg and hip gently for a break or dislocation. An avian vet will do xrays and they'll be lots of $$. My equine vet did my duck's xrays. If you can find a large animal vet (horses, cows) they are normally willing to help with all kinds of barnyard animals for less money. Most cat/dog vets will not because they consider ducks exotic, but call around... you never know. I'm not sure about a splint since you don't know what is wrong and where. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

I think as much time floating in brooder-temperature water with the weight off the leg, and I would set up a sling. Sounds like that upper joint may be dislocated.
hugs.gif

Ducks can recover from awful injuries. I would not give up, and I would try to find a vet or waterfowl vet or rehabber who is willing to help for reasonable cost. If there is a vet school near you they might be willing to help just in order for them to gain experience.

I think as much time floating in brooder-temperature water with the weight off the leg, and I would set up a sling.  Sounds like that upper joint may be dislocated.:hugs

Ducks can recover from awful injuries.  I would not give up, and I would try to find a vet or waterfowl vet or rehabber who is willing to help for reasonable cost.  If there is a vet school near you they might be willing to help just in order for them to gain experience.

Thank you Kellydet and Amiga, I really appreciate your responses.I am still giving him 2 floating Epson salt baths a day and he loves them. I spread out the leg to stretch it and the two joints do not seem to be broken but towards the joint near the 'hip' I suppose would be feels very loose and I think it could be here where the injury is. I found a place call 'Duck Haven' pretty close to where I live so hopefully tomorrow I can take him there and they will help.

Thanks again so much. I'll let you know what happens. :)

Back
Top Bottom