Duck with crusty vent...

TattooQ27

Songster
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY - Albany area
One of my ducks is having an issue with her vent. I noticed it in February or March when I picked her up to check her over since her poop was completely liquid (no texture at all, just brown water) and she seemed to be going more often than she used to. She is eating normal, acting normal and she looks great other than right around her vent.

The crust has the consistency of plastic. Its lumpy and brownish-yellow on top and then when you peel it off there is a thin white layer underneath.

So far I have tried adding apple cider vinegar to her water, epsom salt soaks, blu-kote and monistat. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all and it's not getting worse or preventing her from pooping but after everything I have tried it isn't getting better.

Is there anything that would cause this and any way I can treat it? Could it be that she just isn't bathing well enough? She has access to clean swimming water 24/7 but we never catch her in swimming.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
One of my ducks is having an issue with her vent. I noticed it in February or March when I picked her up to check her over since her poop was completely liquid (no texture at all, just brown water) and she seemed to be going more often than she used to. She is eating normal, acting normal and she looks great other than right around her vent.

The crust has the consistency of plastic. Its lumpy and brownish-yellow on top and then when you peel it off there is a thin white layer underneath.

So far I have tried adding apple cider vinegar to her water, epsom salt soaks, blu-kote and monistat. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all and it's not getting worse or preventing her from pooping but after everything I have tried it isn't getting better.

Is there anything that would cause this and any way I can treat it? Could it be that she just isn't bathing well enough? She has access to clean swimming water 24/7 but we never catch her in swimming.
Does sound like it could be vent gleet or yeast. I have a bantam hen with it and will be starting her on a 5 day treatment on Monday of Acidified Copper Sulfate. I have tried all the other remedies you just mentioned and nothing has helped so now we're going to try the Copper sulfate.http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conte...in-chickens-mol.html?cid=RSS_DUMMIES2_CONTENT on McMurray's web site if you look up CS it will give you direction on how to mix it they say 1/4 teas. to 1 gallon of water.

Last edited:

Top Bottom