Duck with feathers gone, shedding everywhere, something’s wrong

Elisabeth8

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi. I just found my duck with something weird going on. She’s lost most of her feathers (all of her flying feathers are gone), plus she’s shedding parts of her feathers (I think they’re called hollow shafts)I’m not sure how long this was going on but I just noticed this morning. None of the other 8 ducks have any issues like this nor do the 3 chickens that she’s with. She has the white spot on her neck from when she was being over mated last summer but I don’t think that could possibly have caused this amount of damage in her feathers. I’ve been watching her a bit today and she’s by herself and doesn’t seem to be able to move normally. It just looks awkward and abnormal when she does move. What do you think this is? In wondering if it’s mites of some sort but all the other ducks looks just fine! Please help!

C203A177-1F81-4C0B-AB62-E8B9A53DF676.jpeg
963DC5BA-B21D-4230-9D3A-9E9DEA59A343.jpeg

Last edited:
She is molting. Those shafts are the new feathers growing in. Try not to handle her much its painful for them to be picked up when they are molting. Your other ducks will do the same thing in their own time. Usually once or twice a year they molt - drop off the old feathers and grow new ones in.
To help her you can give her a liquid vitamin called "Rooster booster poultry cell" or "Nutridrench"
the poultry cell is better but tastes worse so I give it by syringe but the nutridrench I just add to their water bucket.

She is molting. Those shafts are the new feathers growing in. Try not to handle her much its painful for them to be picked up when they are molting. Your other ducks will do the same thing in their own time. Usually once or twice a year they molt - drop off the old feathers and grow new ones in.
To help her you can give her a liquid vitamin called "Rooster booster poultry cell" or "Nutridrench"
the poultry cell is better but tastes worse so I give it by syringe but the nutridrench I just add to their water bucket.
Thank you! I don’t remember them molting like this (I’ve had ducks for years) but maybe it just weirded me out because she was the only one.

Thank you! I don’t remember them molting like this (I’ve had ducks for years) but maybe it just weirded me out because she was the only one.
How is your duck doing now? I have a drake Pekin 8 yrs old who is doing the same thing and acting different than normal as well. I can't remember him EVER molting like this but that's what they keep telling me it is too. I was wondering if your duck came out of it.

Back
Top Bottom