Duck with feathers missing on back of neck

It does seem early for that to be a mating thing. Do you, however, have a plan for down the road? That is a ratio of drakes to hens that could be trouble. We had five hens with two drakes once, and that was manageable but only just and required some hands on supervision and management April through August.

It does seem early for that to be a mating thing. Do you, however, have a plan for down the road? That is a ratio of drakes to hens that could be trouble. We had five hens with two drakes once, and that was manageable but only just and required some hands on supervision and management April through August.
I originally have 2 hens and 2 drakes. So I got the two pekins hens to help. I’m hoping I don’t have any trouble, obviously lol but if I do then I will more than likely rehome one of the drakes or both. I’m really really hoping that doesn’t happen though because I really love all of my ducks.

Attachments

• 0763F479-1251-4441-BE79-A857D803DAA6.jpeg
    0763F479-1251-4441-BE79-A857D803DAA6.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 10
I agree with Isaac, all ducks will grab the back of the neck be it for mating or dominance. I've seen my female young ducks do this to each other too. Normally, it's not too harmful to the duck but I would monitor as best as you can.

I agree with Isaac, all ducks will grab the back of the neck be it for mating or dominance. I've seen my female young ducks do this to each other too. Normally, it's not too harmful to the duck but I would monitor as best as you can.
Ok thank you guys! I’m hoping you’re right and all is good. They seem to get along so well but I’m sure the older they get the more fights and stuff will happen.

I wouldn’t hold to the hard and fast rules of duck ages before mating though. My drakelet began mating with my older duck hen at 10.5 weeks. He’s not fertile but believe me, he knows what he’s doing to get tab A into slot B. He’s a Runner so that may have something to do with his “maturity” but yeah.. keep an eye on those boys regardless of the fact that they’re young. Overcrowding would definitely make them all more likely to grab each other too, so double check your space that they’re in. :)

I agree with @Trisseh. My surprise drake began ‘trying’ to mate very early. He is a Runner as well. Bless his heart, he is a pro at going through the motions, but nothing more yet, I suppose. :idunno

I like to sit and watch the ducks and as soon as they hit the water all the head bobbing and maniacal quacking begins. This morning I was looking for Hershey, my little chocolate runner, but she was NOWHERE to be found. I looked closer at the three ducks in the pool and saw that Petey, my huge, white hybrid layer was on top of Hershey and had her completely submerged. Petey, a female, had Hershey completely hidden underneath her. I quickly interrupted that little learning session. So don’t be surprised if some of the females are actually plucking neck/head feathers, as well as your drakes.

If my observations prove me right, I have one female that seems to be the “favorite”.......to both sexes!?!:eek:

I agree with @Trisseh. My surprise drake began ‘trying’ to mate very early. He is a Runner as well. Bless his heart, he is a pro at going through the motions, but nothing more yet, I suppose. :idunno

I like to sit and watch the ducks and as soon as they hit the water all the head bobbing and maniacal quacking begins. This morning I was looking for Hershey, my little chocolate runner, but she was NOWHERE to be found. I looked closer at the three ducks in the pool and saw that Petey, my huge, white hybrid layer was on top of Hershey and had her completely submerged. Petey, a female, had Hershey completely hidden underneath her. I quickly interrupted that little learning session. So don’t be surprised if some of the females are actually plucking neck/head feathers, as well as your drakes.

If my observations prove me right, I have one female that seems to be the “favorite”.......to both sexes!?!:eek:
I have a similar problem in the moment in that my 13 month old beautiful drake Donald is trying to mate with my 10 week old ducklings! After 2 weeks of constant worrying, I've just left them to it, however, one of the ducklings seems to have matured far earlier than the others. Dot, at 11 weeks old is lying flat in the pond with her tail up and her head down as if to say "come on Donald service me!"

Back
Top Bottom