Duck with I think a broken foot

Huston homestead

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2018
Aroostook county, Maine
Hey guys, first post on here and first time raising ducks and I think one has a broken foot/ knee. It's about 3 weeks old and half the size of the other three ducks we have. It's foot is curled in half, it won't bend at the joint which i assume is the knee and will only put pressure on it when he is trying to run away from me. He doesn't get very far haha. Any thoughts or suggestions? I will try to get pictures tomorrow if he will stop squirming around long enough for me to take some. Many thanks in advance

Hey guys, first post on here and first time raising ducks and I think one has a broken foot/ knee. It's about 3 weeks old and half the size of the other three ducks we have. It's foot is curled in half, it won't bend at the joint which i assume is the knee and will only put pressure on it when he is trying to run away from me. He doesn't get very far haha. Any thoughts or suggestions? I will try to get pictures tomorrow if he will stop squirming around long enough for me to take some. Many thanks in advance

Ok so a couple things
Have we tried swimming
How did it go
Did it try to swim at all or just bob around
Is it lethargic or generally a happy duck

Start with the duck vitamin regime
Niacin brewers yeast etc
Depending on how long it's been broken or if it's already healed there's suggestions of resetting it to help him heal better or for better movement when older also bracing it is a option
Ummm if your not wanting a big vet bill for some x rays
I would watch him closely
If he is eating and drinking and acting normal other than his foot he may just be a special case for you that gets a little more attention and accommodate his movements to his eating drinking and bathing routines
I hope he gets better ❤️

20180412_183103.jpg
20180412_183103.jpg

Here are a few pics I took it looks like it could be dislocated and rotated 90 degrees in the socket but he wouldnt hold still enough while I was holding him to get a picture

Attachments

• 20180412_183047.jpg
    20180412_183047.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom