Duck with impacted crop???

mommybugv

Hatching
Jun 9, 2016
Hi there, I believe my 7 week old mallard may have and impacted crop or oesophogus. She's always been my very active, lively of the bunch. She's always eaten very good too. Yesterday after feeding them some spinach I noticed that she was acting a little off and acting Unusually quiet. Don't know if the spinach may have gotten impacted. She's been drinking water but very little at a time and hasn't wanted to eat anything since yesterday evening when I first noticed it. I felt her crop, and does not appear full, hard or squishy. I tried massaging and she really is not letting me do it for long. She shakes her head and gapes as tho she's trying to get something out. I've notice some saliva after she drinks water. She's been very quiet and staying in one place without much interaction with the other ducks which is not like her at all. Just in the past couple hours and after giving her a bath she's got a new symptom...she appears swollen throuout her face and neck and she's keeping her neck tucked. I also have been giving her Epsom salt water with electrolytes in it but hasn't helped. I'm starting to get scared that she's getting worse. I fear falling asleep and waking in the morning to find her dead. I read about massaging and inducing vomit but I have only seen how to do it on chickens. Should I use the same Procedure on her. I have three other ducks and they all appear normal. Any information would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I don't waste any time and and wait too long. My ducks are outside all day in a grassy enclosure and then they come in at night. I feed them starter growth crumbles along with small amounts of fruit and veggies.

Hi there, I believe my 7 week old mallard may have and impacted crop or oesophogus. She's always been my very active, lively of the bunch. She's always eaten very good too. Yesterday after feeding them some spinach I noticed that she was acting a little off and acting Unusually quiet. Don't know if the spinach may have gotten impacted. She's been drinking water but very little at a time and hasn't wanted to eat anything since yesterday evening when I first noticed it. I felt her crop, and does not appear full, hard or squishy. I tried massaging and she really is not letting me do it for long. She shakes her head and gapes as tho she's trying to get something out. I've notice some saliva after she drinks water. She's been very quiet and staying in one place without much interaction with the other ducks which is not like her at all. Just in the past couple hours and after giving her a bath she's got a new symptom...she appears swollen throuout her face and neck and she's keeping her neck tucked. I also have been giving her Epsom salt water with electrolytes in it but hasn't helped. I'm starting to get scared that she's getting worse. I fear falling asleep and waking in the morning to find her dead. I read about massaging and inducing vomit but I have only seen how to do it on chickens. Should I use the same Procedure on her. I have three other ducks and they all appear normal. Any information would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I don't waste any time and and wait too long. My ducks are outside all day in a grassy enclosure and then they come in at night. I feed them starter growth crumbles along with small amounts of fruit and veggies.
Ducks should not be fed Spinach.....Hard on organs.

@mommybugv how is your duckling today? Could it have been stung by something with swelling makes me think maybe a spider or bee of some kind. Benedryl may help.

My girl is still not doing very well. She only drinks a little at a time and she still has not wanted to eat. I could not have been a bee sting because I had them inside (in my home) for a couple days while we were redoing their enclosure outside. Maybe a spider tho. I still feel that she has something impacted because now her breath is starting to smell. She still shakes her head and opens her mouth like she wants to get something out. I want to try flushing with water and rubbing her crop to induce vomit but I'm scared I won't do it right. I've seen videos using this method on a chick but not ducks. I just wish I could get some advice on what to do.

My girl is still not doing very well. She only drinks a little at a time and she still has not wanted to eat. I could not have been a bee sting because I had them inside (in my home) for a couple days while we were redoing their enclosure outside. Maybe a spider tho. I still feel that she has something impacted because now her breath is starting to smell. She still shakes her head and opens her mouth like she wants to get something out. I want to try flushing with water and rubbing her crop to induce vomit but I'm scared I won't do it right. I've seen videos using this method on a chick but not ducks. I just wish I could get some advice on what to do.

You have to be so very careful when forcing throw up it doesn't go into their air sac and can cause Pneumonia. I really don't think i have heard of any one doing this to their duck. Is she pooping? what does it look like Is a vet feasible? Could she have something in her throat did you feel all the way down her neck?

That's why I was so scared to even try inducing vomit. I don't think I will attempt it. She has been pooping...not a whole lot tho. The consistency is still pretty normal too. I've tried rubbing out her neck but she just won't let me. Is the a good way to do this? I've tried opening her beak and looking as far down as I can but she won't let me do that either. Just by looking at her, it looks like her neck is somewhat swollen so maybe that's something in her throat. I have called around to veterinary clinics but none have experience with ducks. I just don't want to spend the money and then have no solid results. But I will take her if that's what's best. I don't want to lose her.

I'm new to being a duck mommy, so I'm learning as I go. I did not know spinach was bad for them. I saw it on a list of foods that were ok for them to eat. Luckily this was the first time I had given it to them. Since they were inside and didn't get to forage outside I thought that I would give them some greens from the fridge and a fresh bag of organic spinach is what I had on hand. But that's good to know for future reference. Thanks!

I'm new to being a duck mommy, so I'm learning as I go. I did not know spinach was bad for them. I saw it on a list of foods that were ok for them to eat. Luckily this was the first time I had given it to them. Since they were inside and didn't get to forage outside I thought that I would give them some greens from the fridge and a fresh bag of organic spinach is what I had on hand. But that's good to know for future reference. Thanks!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Wrap her in a towel snug enough she can't get out maybe get someone to hold her so you can gently rub up and down her neck feeling for anything out of norm. then pry open her bill and see if you can look down her throat not sure how fat down you'll be able to see though.

Have you research tube feeding you may want to consider doing that if you can't get her to eat. They can go down pretty fast when they don't get nourishment.

Not everyone can afford an Avian vet or even have one close enough to take their duck too. They are experienced in water fowl.

Back
Top Bottom