duck with issue. Might be respiratory.

We are having a good day. Yesterday was touchy she was making funny gurgling quacks, I took her to bed with me for a few hours and then back to her pen. Today she drank water and had a real poo FINALLY. She spent the day making a mess in her food by adding more water.
Yesterday I started giving her 1/2 cc poultry cell and 1/2cc of noninflammatory and antibiotic mix. Then syringed water in her mouth. But I think the vitamins kicked in. I put vet rx over her nostrils that seemed to help allot.
She is on the couch again content watching TV and looking out the window. So I can guarantee she is not feeling well yet. And still labored in breathing.

We have had a bad storm today so her buddy's are all on house lock down. Might be one of the reasons she is calmer. Thank you for caring. The sad part is she is loosing down through all of this so if she dose make it through its going to be a long time before she will be able to join her flock.

Attachments

• a 003.JPG
    a 003.JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 2
Not a good time of year to be molting. Mine have taken a long time to molt this year for some strange reason. Probably the weird weather we have had.

Now we need the antibiotic along with the vitamins to kick in.
Hopefully, you'll see improvements real soon.
She's so sweet looking. ❤️

Not a good time of year to be molting. Mine have taken a long time to molt this year for some strange reason. Probably the weird weather we have had.

Now we need the antibiotic along with the vitamins to kick in.
Hopefully, you'll see improvements real soon.
She's so sweet looking. ❤️
Thought I would update. She is much better tried to take a nip yesterday. Im starting to realize which of my girls this is. I had one with a broken leg 2 years ago she was only 5 months when it happened. She came in the house and rested for about 3 weeks. Once she was consistently standing with no limp was returned to the flock and never had a issue again.
After observing her in the bath water several times noticed the favoring of the left leg. Watching her on the couch standing again favoring that leg putting all the weight on one but so happy to stand.
Anyway my best guess is this is her. When the cold hit so hard my guess is it hit the leg first which limited her and caused the respiratory issue.
So she is recovering but we will see if she can get the strength back for the leg mobility. For now she has her pen, messy food and water under her nose (typical duck) and spends allot of time bossing me on what she wants. food, water, couch.
I have a LGD puppy coming in about a week. This may be a blessing in one way. Since I always seem to have birds and babies in the house. Puppy can get used to it from day one.
Time will tell I guess

I'm thankful to hear she is recovering, hopefully she'll gain strength back in her leg to be able to run around with her flock soon.
My Muscovy drake hurt his leg when fighting with my gander, this was a couple years ago. He had a pretty significant limp Not broken but must have been a pretty bad sprain and him being 9 when it happened he is 11.5 now. I think arthritis set up in the leg so I started him on a baby aspirin a day until this year another memeber told me about Chondroitin with MSM her vet put her Pekin on it so she sent me some to see if it would help Opie. He's been taking it close to 5 months now and now only has a slight limp This one that was shared with me is a powder and for horses, Opie gets half a tablespoon over dry dog food that I put just enough warm water on to soak in the meds. Might be something to consider to help your little Runner. I also bought some chewies with Chondroitin it's for my mini dachshund who is 14. My drake loves these chewies too.

Don't forget to post pics of your new LGD when it arrives.

I'm thankful to hear she is recovering, hopefully she'll gain strength back in her leg to be able to run around with her flock soon.
My Muscovy drake hurt his leg when fighting with my gander, this was a couple years ago. He had a pretty significant limp Not broken but must have been a pretty bad sprain and him being 9 when it happened he is 11.5 now. I think arthritis set up in the leg so I started him on a baby aspirin a day until this year another memeber told me about Chondroitin with MSM her vet put her Pekin on it so she sent me some to see if it would help Opie. He's been taking it close to 5 months now and now only has a slight limp This one that was shared with me is a powder and for horses, Opie gets half a tablespoon over dry dog food that I put just enough warm water on to soak in the meds. Might be something to consider to help your little Runner. I also bought some chewies with Chondroitin it's for my mini dachshund who is 14. My drake loves these chewies too.

Don't forget to post pics of your new LGD when it arrives.
All great thoughts. Thank you, Vets are really not a option here I live in cow country. Although the state vets come out every year for my NPIP testing and I do get to meet there students from the university during testing. Not many go on to there exotic (poultry) degree. But when they do they dont start practices in this area.
Wow I didn't know Muscovy lived that long. Your doing great.
How much Chondronitin do you give and in what form do you buy it.

No vets here will see poultry. I took my Runner who had a bumble I'd never seen before to a vet in the next county she looked at her foot said it was bumble and sold me antibiotics and meloxicam. I had worked on bumble with my chickens but she was my first duck to have it and it was nothing like a bumble on my hens. But anyway I View attachment 3352181finally did surgery and got her taken care of. The vet really knew nothing about poultry but at least I got meds. Now I just order on line, Just wish we could get meloxicam online.

The Cosequin Crystal sent me he’s a hefty 13 lbs so he gets half tablespoon a day sprinkled over some dry dog food then I put just a little warm water and let the dog food soak up the meds he gobbled them right down. I just lost his mama last of Nov. she was 15.the picture of the superfood hip and joint is the one I buy for my dachshund. My drake likes them too lol
I get it off
0C16459B-4B2F-4DA1-9CE5-D2529BFF8C2E.jpeg
View attachment 3352181eBay
5C15FBEA-B563-49D1-BB07-627BDCFDAE03.jpeg

Last edited:
So funny I think my brain is in overdrive. I know what that is. I lost my last dog this spring she was on Dasuquin for the last 2 years. But I did donate all her non prescription med.s. I will get some next time Im in town.
I did take my goose last year to the university hospital but it was allot of money and really didnt help except they gave her meloxicam but then wanted to do liver tests before they gave her more I was already close to 1000 in charges at that point and one of my ganders decided to get hurt. GooseBabie came up with Alive (Naproxen) as a suggestion but didn't know how much I should give. So I fingered out what a human dose was then divided it by there body weight. Crushed it added 8 1cc syringes of water then sucked it back up in 8 syringes. Been trying to do the same with this kido but figguring out a 5 pound duck so I have been giving her 1/4 syringe.
this was the thread she helped me out on
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tions-on-anti-inflammatory-for-geese.1508883/

Back
Top Bottom