Duck with prolapsed penis

swannyduck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
Hey guys, im new to this website and i mostly joined because i have 3 mallard ducks, one drake and two hens, They are all very fun, i take them out to my pond every day and they have been quackin it up since i got them as little ducklings. Anyway! the male duck is prolly about 2 months+ old or so, and only yesterday the 13th i went outside to check up on him and his penis was hanging out and somewhat bloody. I was very shocked and sad, mostly because this is my first time ever owning ducks so i really didnt know what to think. Did some research, realized its his penis and now im just trying to figure out what i can do to help him. He is still acting fine but i can tell he is a little sore. Ever since ive seen him with his penis out he has only been drinking water. i keep store bought food outside by them but he has only been drinking water. later yesterday he figured out how to kind of tuck his penis back in but whenever he poops (just poops out water) his penis falls out again and after a minute he tucks it back away. Mostly all of today he has just been doing the same thing but it looks like he isnt sucking his penis back up anymore and it looks like a inch or so is starting to dry up. I have seached about prolapsed duck penises and it sounds like i should just wait for it to dry up and i snip it off with some scissors. So here are my questions about all of this.
1. Do i really need to keep him separated in a dry box and wait untill it completly dry's up? he really likes to be right by his girls and playing in the pond.
2. How do i make him eat?!?! He hasnt even touched the food, only drinking water and pooping water!
3. Does his eating habbits and prolapsed penis have to do anything with eachother?
He is still acting fine, he is talking to the girls and still walking around fine,
Thanks guys I would really appreciate some reply's and help!
-Jess

Hey guys, im new to this website and i mostly joined because i have 3 mallard ducks, one drake and two hens, They are all very fun, i take them out to my pond every day and they have been quackin it up since i got them as little ducklings. Anyway! the male duck is prolly about 2 months+ old or so, and only yesterday the 13th i went outside to check up on him and his penis was hanging out and somewhat bloody. I was very shocked and sad, mostly because this is my first time ever owning ducks so i really didnt know what to think. Did some research, realized its his penis and now im just trying to figure out what i can do to help him. He is still acting fine but i can tell he is a little sore. Ever since ive seen him with his penis out he has only been drinking water. i keep store bought food outside by them but he has only been drinking water. later yesterday he figured out how to kind of tuck his penis back in but whenever he poops (just poops out water) his penis falls out again and after a minute he tucks it back away. Mostly all of today he has just been doing the same thing but it looks like he isnt sucking his penis back up anymore and it looks like a inch or so is starting to dry up. I have seached about prolapsed duck penises and it sounds like i should just wait for it to dry up and i snip it off with some scissors. So here are my questions about all of this.
1. Do i really need to keep him separated in a dry box and wait untill it completly dry's up? he really likes to be right by his girls and playing in the pond.
2. How do i make him eat?!?! He hasnt even touched the food, only drinking water and pooping water!
3. Does his eating habbits and prolapsed penis have to do anything with eachother?
He is still acting fine, he is talking to the girls and still walking around fine,
Thanks guys I would really appreciate some reply's and help!
-Jess
I found this on another thread but here is the info.
y experience for a prolaspe is as follows.

We had a runner drake who prolapsed.
We kept him separated and on straw.
We washed and coated his phallus with Neosporin daily. Tucking it didn't work.

We did this every day for weeks until the end of the phallus started to dry out and die. At that point, we used sharp manicure scissors to snip off the dead flesh.

Eventually he was able to retract part of his phallus and we stopped treatment. With retraction, the remaining phallus was kept moist and therefore didn't dry out and die off.

Of course, the duck was a pet and the vet was very expensive and she told us over the phone that this was all she could recommend short of making a purse string suture around the vent to hold it in.

The removed part never will grow back but the drake was still able to mate as the phallus is a long tube. He recovered fine. The phallus is long enough to get the breeding done successfully.

It is recommended not to breed prolapsed drakes for show quality ducklings as this is thought to be hereditary, though not a definitive conclusion.
Some recommend culling and just removing from the gene pool.

Also you can do nothing,. Often the drakes goes along fine, but alternatively, can get infected badly with the drying out causing scabbing with peeling and exposure of open flesh to the bacteria in the droppings.

The treatment you choose all depends on you and your intent for the drake.

Good luck in treatment. Sure hope it works for your guy. and Welcome to BYC I would not keep him with the ducks because drakes cannot help themselves and he will try to mate, which will not help him heal. also give him something to swim in daily {clean water] then apply the neo. he only needs to swim once he doesn't need water for swimming all day. Maybe put some vitamins in his drinking water, he probably is in pain is the reason hes not eating.

Last edited:
hmmm alright well thanks for the reply! i will try to get him his own box outside so he can atleast see the girls swimming. So will he start eating when he feels better, and how long can they normally last on just water??

He will need to be separated for up to 3 months to completely heal properly. Yes he will begin to eat again when feeling better. you can tempt him with chopped greens, egg yolk mashed up, steamed oats or moistened duck food. Be sure he has clean water and clean bedding. Follow the directions above, and he should heal up and then be able to rejoin the girls.

hmmm alright well thanks for the reply! i will try to get him his own box outside so he can atleast see the girls swimming. So will he start eating when he feels better, and how long can they normally last on just water??
DO NOT!!! I REPEAT, do NOT tie it off and cut it. This is inhuman and very painful. This is a very bad practice. If you look on google, it’ll tell you not to do this.

What does it look like? Can you post a picture of it?
Well he’s a Cayuga and it is white... (I don’t know if they have different colored penis’ and he isn’t acting any different. We thought he had a pasty butt but then discovered it is just his penis. Seems like it comes out then retracts but not all the way back in... never more than an inch. He was a nightmare to hold still so if we can get another chance here in a bit we will. Also the girls have moved outside for slow introductions so there is definitely some more hormones raging in a couple of these boys!

Back
Top Bottom