Duck with turned in feet

They are doing much better!! The ones who's legs were the most severely crossed are now just slightly overlapping and she is walking more on her actual feet now (she was previously walking on her legs and not her feet). She still falls over and is a bit wobbley but I've seen so much improvament. I started giving them both more greens and also Poly Vi Sol Baby Vitamins (without iron) in their water each morning. The Rite Aid pharmacy had a generic version behind the counter for $6. The swimming has also helped a lot I think. I'm so happy as I thought she might have to be put down - now I don't think so at all!
celebrate.gif
Glad to hear that yours are doing much better!

I have the exact same scenario. Except my pekin ducklings are from Metzer Farm. We have 7 total ducklings 2 Pekin and 1 Pekin has the same problem stated above. They are 11 days old. Is there a way to correct the 1 foot that is turned in? It's almost like it's broken and hurts to walk on it or something.

Please let me know if you get any info because mine is doing the same!!!! Same kind bought at same place.... I feel so bad for her or him.:-(

For a turned in foot, I would give some PolyVita Sol liquid vitamins (without iron) in the ducks water, give lots of greens, niacin and corn meal are also good for their leg health. Swimming may help strengthen as well. Mine was in very bad shape and while he still isn't totally normal, he improved tremendously and is able to get around. Good luck!

what mg of niacin per gallon there is 250 and 500?
If a young duckling I would start at 150megs. in 1 gallon of water. get plain niacin not flush free or time released. most say they have to ask for it because it's kept behind the counter. for what reason I have no idea.

I was given a mallard today - and I noticed that it's little feet/legs turn in, more than I think they should. I was told that it is a couple months old (that she bought it as a duckling in the spring) - is it too late to do something for it's legs? It can walk, but often steps on it's on feet - and swimming wasn't as much as a breeze as I think it should be.....for a duck. Any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom