Duck with turned in feet

Dez

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Kissimmee
Hello

First time raising Ducks. I have two Pekin ducklings from TSC. I got them as tiny little cute fluff balls about 4 weeks ago... They have grown very very fast. They just ran out of their chick food (non medicated) and I got a new bag of Starter/grower food for them... they been on this for 4 days so far

They get free time in the yard to forage for whatever they want and nibble on grass.

They sleep in the house at night but during the day they are in an outside pen .. using shavings as bedding

I notice that one of them seems to have a little trouble walking. His feet are turned in and her walks with this feed overlapping. Sometimes when he stops his toes are on top of eachother. He sits down quite a bit. No sores or anything on his feet.

The other duckling who is a little bigger dosn't have this problem.. His feet are turned outward and he moves with more ease... Bot they both seem a little clumbsy like they are on the verge of loosing their balance at any moment.

I can get a video uploaded if that would be helpful

Last edited:
hummm maybe. Not quite as extreem as on the link but I could see it turning into that if it was to get worse (pic B)

I looked at the ingredients on the food and Niacin is listed.. Its Dumbor brand for chickens, ducks and geese.

I will pick up some Niacin tablets at GNC and see if that helps

How are your ducklings doing? I am also having the same problem with my 4 weeks old Pekin ducks I got from TSC. Both are walking quite clumbsly but one has its feet turned in quite severely and has a lot of trouble moving around. It seemed to happen very suddenly and at first the duckling could not even stand up without falling over onto it's back. I have it crushed up niacin in the water and blended up some green veggie's as well. Also gave some corn meal. This seemed to help to the extent that the duckling can not stand up and tries to walk, but with the feet overlapping each other, it cannot move well and falls all over. I am at a loss at what to do to help our little duckie!!! Any suggestions?

I think I have that same problem bought my Ducklings yesterday, one seems fine but still clumsy which is cute, the other one's leg is turning in which looks swollen but not sure if it is or not. I thought it was a deformed leg maybe? Not sure.

The niacin doing much good for our 4 week old duckling. Her legs are almost totally crossed in an "X" fashion and her hips are protruding way out from her body.

I am at a loss on what to do for her! More swimming therapy? When she swims she ends up going in circles. I just don't understand what has caused this to happen?! The other duckling seems just fine.

Suggestions???

I'm sorry to hear about so many ducklings having leg and or feet problems. Seems just in the past week we are reading about this. Other than the niacin I really don't know except maybe vitamins on top of this. Poultry Nutri Drench or Avia Charge 2000 added to their water. and here is a link that may help you fashion so sort of braces or shoes that may Help https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I have to Pekin ducklings--approx 5 weeks old. I rescued them from a guy I work with who was only feeding them bread for the 3 weeks he had them--after buying them at TSC. First off--I won't every buy my chicks or ducks from them again. We've had several problems in the past with birds from there. Anyways......I had made a post and had several replies from some wonderful people. I tried putting Niacin in there water and gave them some Save-a-Chick. They waste sooooooo much water that I wasn't sure they were getting any. We started putting crushed up Brewer's Yeast in their food today. WE'll see how that goes. Mine have improved somewhat. I think what helped them the most is, my husband was letting them free range so they had more room to walk and on different surfaces. That has helped a lot. The first few times--they laid around hardly moving at all. Today we actually saw one of them "fly" lol--running as fast as she could flapping her tiny wings. She has the worst feet--both turn way in and one overlaps a little. The boy was the same, but his feet are straight now, but he still seems a little week. The exercise has helped them more than anything. I know when people read this they will think they can't free range. Well--with week legs, they move slow so they are easy to catch and they don't go far. I hope this helps. I hope your babies get better real soon.....If her legs are completely crossed--just give her some time maybe--hopefully the niacin will help. Swimming might be good exercise for her. Does she seem like she's in any pain or anything????

Last edited:
She doesn't seem like she is in pain but I don't know for sure. I have now put the two ducks in an outside pen during the day where they have more walking space on grass and will see if there is any improvement. So far no further improvement and she sits most of the time as it is so hard to walk. I really hope something happens soon. When I put them in the bathtub, I can see that the one with the crossed legs struggles to swim a bit and ends up going in circles. I am just going to keep up the hydrotherapy, exercise and niacin and give her time. Where do I find Brewer's Yeast? I was at the grocery store and couldn't find any!

I"m so sorry I didn't respond--things got a little crazy here. How r the babies doing??? My ducks are doing well--the brewers yeast was the way to go. Got it at walmart in the vitamin section.

Back
Top Bottom