1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck won't sleep in the coope

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stroud2009, Feb 19, 2016.

1. stroud2009

stroud2009 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    I have 2 hens a rooster and as of 5 hours ago I not have a female ( I think ) duck. In their open area there is the chicken coop , I have a kid dollhouse and a large dog igloo that serves the purpose of shelter for them . Well the duck won't go in any of them. She is just wandering around . I messaged the previous owner and she said she would never sleep in the coop with the other chickens , even when the duck was the only one left she wouldn't ..... What should I do? I've tried luring her into the other two area and the coop but she is still probably unsure of me .

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So you have tried putting her favorite treats into a shelter and she won't go? How secure is the pen area? I would try to direct her into where she will be safe.

3. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    Yea I had a trail of them going into each house area and she would run from me . It's secure as long as she is t like hanging against the fence . I'm just worried if she just hang outs against the fence a raccoon or something will grab her through it , I didn't think about this when I brought her in, I guess I just hoped she would follow the chickens

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Is she the only duck? That could be part of the problem too. Ducks need companions and chickens just don't cut it. You may just have to put her in the house each night and lock her up with treats. Ducks like being out in open vs being shut into a house each night. Mine would rather be outside than locked up but they know the deal when I go out with a handful of peas. They run in their house and I lock the door.

5. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Until they get used to it, it can be a real challenge. The spousal unit and I would look like to gorillas trying to wrestle a football when we first started. Trying to coax ducks and geese into an enclosure is quite challenging!! One other thought, is it dark in what you're trying to get her into? I put a poultry light in the coop and that made it much easier. Ducks aren't keen on going into a dark space without knowing what's in it or how to get out of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    She's not safe out in the run so you might need some help getting her in the coop. Get a big stick and point towards the coop and slowly walk her towards the coop. You can also put your arms out and point towards the coop. Then shut the door when she goes in. It took about 3 nights of doing this but my ducks finally got the message.

2 people like this.
  7. stroud2009

Oct 9, 2015
    Thank you all for the tips, I will do that tonight . She has been sleeping right in front of one of the houses . We have a net over the top and I've been checking on her every few hours (setting my alarm) to make sure she isn't hanging out on the outside of the fenced area

8. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    No matter how great the coop space is, they want to be outside. Its a duck thing. I put treats in their pen and still have to herd them in every night. Its for their own good and safety and for my sanity. I cant stand worrying about them so off to the lockdown night coop they go ;-) good luck.
    Oh yea, and get another duck or two they will be happier. and funnier to watch and they are just freakin' cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by