Duckdate!

catobsessed

Songster
6 Years
Sep 8, 2016
Thank you so much everyone for all the advice you have given me when I took in an abandoned duck! He’s been doing very well! The chickens seems to have accepted him now, and he seems happy with their company! I only let them interact under supervision, but this duck has been doing so well here! I can’t get over how fast he adapted to a new routine.
1A97E5DA-D6F9-45A8-B1D7-7AE65C83FA65.jpeg

I want to get him a tub to float in soon, but I’ve been worried now might be to cold for him. 🥶 it usually stays in the 60s during the day here, would that be acceptable swimming weather or should I hold off until spring?

898619EF-E306-428B-BA9E-D2340B999FD8.jpeg

1672794899087.png

These were taken around a week apart, you can tell in his eyes he’s doing so much better! Thank you again everyone! All your input made such a difference! He was so worn down we first took him in, I’m so thankful he pulled through. He just needed some TLC! 💓

Oh wow, that's such great news! It's so wonderful that you rescued him! No, that's definitely not too cold to swim - as long as the water's not frozen, ducks will love it!!
I had a feeling, but I wanted to make sure!
Oh wow, that's such great news! It's so wonderful that you rescued him! No, that's definitely not too cold to swim - as long as the water's not frozen, ducks will love it!!
oh ok! I had a feeling, but wanted to make sure. Next time I’m out at either walmart or tractor supply, I’ll see if I can find something he can swim in! I just want something that can be rinsed out easily because I know ducks aren’t exactly the cleanest swimmers haha. For the time being, I have a deep dog water bowl for him to dunk his head in, so he’s able to do that at least.

So glad you took him on. The improvement in his condition must be rewarding.
1000001325.jpg

Its warm enough to swim at your temps and a kiddie pool or a repurposed children's sandpit make good pools for a duck. My son and I each have a green little tikes turtle sandpit for our ducks. They are more durable than blue wading pools that often spring a leak "off season" when there are no replacements in the stores. Consider advertising on social media (Nextdoor etc) as a neighbor may have a disused one in the back of a garage or shed.

Any tub will do temporarily

Attachments

• 20221015_095112.jpg
    20221015_095112.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230103_125318.jpg
    20230103_125318.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom