1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Duckies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken-whisper, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Chicken-whisper

Chicken-whisper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Mass
    Two days ago I bought 6, 2 week old, ducklings. I cant tell if they are Roeun or Mallards yet. Im pretty sure they are Roeun. I was wondering if there were any tips or tricks to help my duckies to be happy to the fullest? We keep them in with our chicks and they all get along wonderfully, the chicks love sleeping on the ducks. Is there any way to get the ducklings to be more open with us? They run from us and cry loudly when held.

2. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    The best way is to just spend time with your duckies. Let them sit on your lap (with a towel) corralling them gently with your arms. Always move slowly,as ducklings are easily startled. Treats are also a great way to get them used to you. At first toss them slowly towards the ducklings, don't expect them to come get them from you, but eventually after dropping them closer and closer to you, they should feed out of your hand. Peas, meal worms, bits of lettuce... are all good treats.
    Enjoy your ducklings!!!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you read the Raising Ducklings sticky? The link to stickies is at the top of the Duck Forum index.
    Welcome to ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by