Ducking with eye problem

Bailey42901

Hatching
May 25, 2017
My dad and brother found a baby duck lying in the middle of the road dying so they took it home and we're currently nursing it back to health. He's doing great and eating and drinking but his right eye is having issues. The hair around it is all wet and he opens it very rarely. I don't know what to do.

Can you post a pic? Ducklings need to be able to fit whole whole bill in water to clear it and can cause eye infection if not able to do so. They also need extra niacin to develop properly. You can use nutritional yeast or Brewer's yeast to supplement niacin

Can you post a pic? Ducklings need to be able to fit whole whole bill in water to clear it and can cause eye infection if not able to do so. They also need extra niacin to develop properly. You can use nutritional yeast or Brewer's yeast to supplement niacin
I'm new to this site and I don't know how to post a picture. I tried to before

IMG_0964.JPG
Use the "upload a file" button at the bottom next to "post reply"
I was gone all night but he's acting very different from yesterday. He's wobbling around and I attached a video where it looks like he can't even see his food close enough to eat it. He keeps falling backwards. It's now both eyes that are like this and they look glossed over and really bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 7
He may have gotten an eye infection that damaged the eyes and is why he was left behind. I'm not sure if he will be able to make it blind even with your help. You could try some antibiotic eye ointment to prevent any further damage in case he can see at all. And give him supportive care of water deep enough to fit his whole bill in, and some extra vitamins like poly-vi-sol without iron it's drops for babies, and brewer's or nutritional yeast in its food. If it can't see to find food or water tho I'm sure you know what that means for his future....I'm so sorry. I commend you on your effort to help a defenseless baby like you did. If he isn't suffering and can get food and water tho if it's an eye infection and you treat it he could possibly recover with enough sight to make it as a domestic, special needs duck.

Back
Top Bottom