Duckling acting lethargic HELP!

TassiBirdPerson

Hatching
Oct 3, 2021
So ive got a duckling that is just a few days old. Yesterday he was doing well, moving around, eating and drinking but this morning he has stopped eating, drinking and has very little energy (he fell on his back and barely moved his legs to get back up). He has been sleeping all day and looks very tired while the other ducklings are peeping and running around and eating/drinking. He seems lethargic and unwell but I am not sure why. They have spent all their time in the brooder and havent had contact with other ducks. He also gets very dry eyes but that has been happening before today so am not sure if that is related. Unfortunately our local bird vets are shut so I would like to figure something out to help him become more comfortable. There was also an incident last night where him and one other duckling were regurgitating their food and foaming at the mouse/nostrils which has since seemed to stop. Can anyone help?

What type of brooder are they in? How big of an area? What type of feed? What is the water set up like?
Sorry for the late reply, I tried to rush him to another vet but he passed on the way there. They have a brooder plate in a mid sized storage container (there were only 4 of them). They were given in medicated grower pellets small enough for them to eat and a small bowl of water. I supervised them during feeding to make sure they didn’t fall into the water or choke on the feed. The other 3 are still healthy. Not sure where I went wrong but it is very upsetting.

Sorry to hear that. I believe they haven't changed the feeding guidelines, but ducklings shouldn't have medicated feed. If feeding pellets, I would make sure they are made into a mash (wetted feed). Water needs to be deep enough to dip their entire head in, but not accessible for them to climb in at this point due to lack of feathering.
If you can show us pics of the brooder, we can help with ideas.

Back
Top Bottom