Duckling and Gosling Brooder Temperature Requirements?

Bullwinkle

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Nebraska
I know that baby chicks need to be started in a brooder at about 95 degrees.

Last week (last thursday) I received x6 one day old (chinese) goslings, and x7 one day old pekin ducklings. I have them (goslings and ducklings) together in a good size brooder (about 7 feet by 3 feet). I'm using a 250 watt (red) heat lamp/bulb.

My question or issue is: I assume that waterfowl will 'self-regulate' and move closer to the bulb/heat if they get cold? Right now they rarely (never?) sleep under the bulb. Most of the time they are far enough from the bulb that they are getting little heat from it (the section of the brooder they are in is maybe 75 degrees. Under the bulb its around 90 to 95 degrees. The ducks and geese don't "pile" for warmth, but do sleep beside each other.

Do they really not need any extra warmth? The ducklings are about 1 1/2 times the size of my 1 1/2 week old chicks. The goslings are about 3 times the size of my 1 1/2 week old chicks.

Last edited:
Newly hatched babies need about 85 degrees, and by 6 weeks old they don't need any heat at all. Mine were all brooded inside so far, and didn't have any source of heat other than the furnace after 2 weeks. They would just get too hot.

Back
Top Bottom