Duckling Barely Able to Walk

raggiedoll88

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Hey everybody -- I was hoping to never have to make a post in the emergencies part of the forum, but unfortunately here I am...

1. My Duclair duckling, Pippi, will be two weeks old on Tuesday. She is 202 grams as of around 5pm tonight (up 22g from when I weighed her this morning). She has been gaining weight daily & is one of the biggest of my six ducklings.

2. She's unable to stand or walk... eventually she walks but there's obviously something very wrong. This has happened twice now since Friday.

This first happened on Friday afternoon. I had been with the ducklings all morning & then left to make myself lunch. When I came back to check on them all of the ducklings were running around, except her. I noticed her legs looked a little off (more off to the side than normal) & when she went to walk she could barely move. She could hardly even stand. It was terrifying & heartbreaking to watch her try to get around... I called my parents & they drove up to try to help me with her. By the time they arrived she was able to start walking again, not gracefully, but better than before. An hour or two later she seemed much better. I've kept a close eye on her all weekend & she seemed 90% back to normal -- if you weren't specifically watching her legs every time she moved you'd never notice that hers seemed a little different than the rest. Wider set, but only by the tiniest bit. I wasn't sure if she had spraddle leg (it sure looked like it from the diagrams in my books & my research online) but I didn't even know how I'd treat such a minor-seeming case since her legs looked basically normal.

I came in to check on the ducklings around 10pm tonight & to my horror found her in the same condition as she was in Friday. She was squished underneath another duckling (they were all sleeping cuddled up together & she happened to be on the bottom of the pile) & when I came in to check on them the rest ran to the playpen door to see me but she couldn't move. She couldn't stand up, her legs seemed out to the side again & she was frantically peeping. I scooped her up, separated her from her friends so they wouldn't trample her, and got her a little dish of food & water. Again, at first she could barely stand, but after a while she was able to & she was able to move (but not normally) a while after that. Earlier today she was running around & seemed almost all the way better... She did trip, and fall, several times throughout the day (but most of them do, I figure they're clumsy and that's normal, right?) but other than that she wasn't having any issues getting around today.

3. Symptoms first exhibited Friday afternoon & then again Sunday night.

4. No other birds are exhibiting similar symptoms. The only thing I've noticed is that they seem to snort/sneeze/puff air out (not quite sure exactly what they're doing) quite a bit. They especially snort when they dunk their heads in the little deep water dish I have for them to clean their faces with, but I'm assuming this is normal behavior since they all seem to do it... Every now & then I'll head a little sneeze (sounds like they're blowing a puff of air through their bill) so I'm not sure if that's something I should be concerned with, but either way I don't think that would really have anything to do with her not being able to walk. Otherwise all the ducklings seem fine to me.

5. No signs of trauma other than her legs go out a bit to the sides... I'm using a heat plate in the brooder & the ducklings all used to go on top of it instead of underneath it. They'd jump on & off, sometimes fall off or be pushed off while sleeping, sometimes fall onto their backs -- after her incident on Friday my dad built a little cardboard shield to block the top so they can't get up there anymore. I'm not sure if she had hurt herself by falling from the heart plate or not, but now nobody's allowed up top.

6. Not sure if it was a bad fall from the heat plate, or if she slipped on the cookie sheet that I had their "soup" (crumbles + water) dish on... I knew about spraddle leg so I bought rubber shelf liners & cut them to fit in the cookie tray so they wouldn't slip & hurt themselves but then they started constantly nibbling on & pulling up the rubber shelf liner like it was their job so when I would go in to check on them sometimes it would be mostly lifted up & defeat the purpose & the surface would still be slippery since the liner was up, so I don't know if that could potentially have caused the problem.

I don't even know if she has spraddle leg or not -- they do seem to go out to the sides, but she recovered so quickly on Friday & seemed fine all weekend, I'm wondering if it could be because of a niacin deficiency? She's only 12 days old though & I've already started supplementing their feed with nutritional yeast. They're on the Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles (which I had read on here should be sufficient for ducklings but I figured adding a little nutritional yeast couldn't hurt)... I thought that niacin deficiencies usually present in slightly older ducklings anyway but have no idea why she's having leg/walking issues so figured maybe that has something to do with it?

7. She's been eating the Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles, some nutritional yeast & lots of water. She still has an appetite (although not right now -- she's sleeping under the heat plate while the five other ducklings are eating & drinking, but she gained 22g in one day so clearly she's been eating well).

8. Poop looks normal as far as I can tell... It actually seems more solid than most since most of them have more liquid poop & a few of hers I've noticed are more solid/formed than just liquid. I'm new to ducks so I looked up that's about duck poop consistency already & it seemed like there's a whole range of poop for ducks so I wasn't too concerned.

9. Treatment so far has been to separate her from the group & give her food and water & nutritional yeast. One got Sav-a-Chick electrolytes and probiotics here so I'm planning on mixing that up to give as well. Otherwise I don't know how to treat her because I don't know what the problem is.

10. If it seems like it's just spraddle leg & could be an easy fix, I'm fine treating her at home. However we do have two different vets within an hour of us who treat ducks so if it's anything more serious then I'm more than willing to take her there. I plan on calling the vet in the morning, hoping they could see her, but I don't know if they take emergencies or what their policy is.

11. I will post videos ASAP. It's been a wild night trying to care for & comfort her but I made sure to take videos & pictures to upload on here. I'll do that shortly.

12. Brooder setup: XL doggie playpen with mesh top & sides, fleece/towel bedding over tarp on bottom (since they spill water everywhere), changed 2-3 times per day. Multiple waterers (2 mason jar style, 1 large gravity waterer, 1 small deep dish to wash faces) & multiple feeders (large gravity feeder & heavy glass juicer filled with "soup" (crumbles + water)). Waters changed multiple times per day, "soup" changed 1-2 times per day.

I will post videos of her shortly. Thank you for any advice on helping my sweet little Pippi... I love all my little ducklings so much already & obviously don't want to see them not doing well. I really appreciate your help!

1st photo: 1:15pm... She drank a little water with the Sav-a-Chick electrolytes and probiotics and had maybe a bite of crumbles. All of her friends are eating/drinking but she's such under the heat plate, unable to really walk. Her legs are definitely out to the sides which makes me think spraddle leg?

2nd photo: this is how she was sleeping earlier as I was writing my post... Her leg is in a weird position. She didn't seem like she has much strength to move it. She's definitely feisty & wants to move (when she's awake, not in this pic 😋) but she can't.

3rd photo: again you can see how her leg & position of her body isn't right. This was around 10:15pm & she definitely has an appetite & was drinking well then. Since then her appetite & thirst had decreased but I'm wondering if that's just because it's 1:30 in the morning and she's tired... although we the others ran to eat & drink when I put out new food & water, so I don't know.

Spraddle leg? Niacin deficiency? Something else??? Any ideas? Please let me know, I'm worried sick over here & hate seeing my baby unwell.

Also, I'm not sure which, but one seems to have a raspy/hoarse voice. And as I mentioned earlier I've heard little sneezes here & there. I'm not sure if they have something possibly? Could they have caught something? Should I bring all six to the vet tomorrow if I can get an appointment??

I swear there's a reddish tint underneath some of their eyes but maybe it's the lighting in the room, or the fact that it's way past my bedtime & I'm in full on freakout mode so now I'm overanalyzing every little thing. I feel like I'm being a hypochondriac now, so maybe it's nothing... But there's definitely sneezes here & there. Is it all connected? Have I done something wrong? I've cleaned their bedding & food/water dishes multiple times a day, I've tried to be the absolute best duck mama I could be, and now I'm worried that I somehow messed something up & I'm failing them somehow.

I'll try to post videos soon. Thanks in advance for your help 💕

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_011841087.jpg
    IMG_20210426_011841087.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210425_234336865.jpg
    IMG_20210425_234336865.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210425_224703719.jpg
    IMG_20210425_224703719.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 10
Duckling Having Trouble Walking YouTube video

I hope I did this right, I tried to put the link to the video I uploaded on YouTube. I know it's almost 2am (EST) so I'm assuming not many people are on here right now but please I'm hoping someone can take a look at this & hey back to me. I'm at a loss on how to help my baby & would really appreciate some advice on what I can do to help her. Thank you so much!

Hey mama duck I have a calling duck ! Please let me know if you have found any solution to your baby duckling as I am in need for some as well with mine! Hope you find some help ASAP!
Hi! I ended up having more ducklings come down with the same symptoms a few days later so I decided to treat them all for a niacin deficiency because I'm not sure if they were getting enough from their flock raiser crumbles.

I am giving them about 1 ml each of High Level Vitamin B Complex (by Durvet) daily and it has helped a lot. There are no more walking issues with my little flock. I picked up the vitamin B complex at Tractor Supply for around $20 for a 250 ml bottle. I give them the vitamins in a little dish of mashed of peas with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. I also give them some of the vitamin in a mason jar waterer, they don't seem to mind the taste.

It's been about a week since I started and I'm really pleased with the results. I hope this was helpful to you ... good luck with your baby!

Hi! I ended up having more ducklings come down with the same symptoms a few days later so I decided to treat them all for a niacin deficiency because I'm not sure if they were getting enough from their flock raiser crumbles.

I am giving them about 1 ml each of High Level Vitamin B Complex (by Durvet) daily and it has helped a lot. There are no more walking issues with my little flock. I picked up the vitamin B complex at Tractor Supply for around $20 for a 250 ml bottle. I give them the vitamins in a little dish of mashed of peas with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. I also give them some of the vitamin in a mason jar waterer, they don't seem to mind the taste.

It's been about a week since I started and I'm really pleased with the results. I hope this was helpful to you ... good luck with your baby!
By adding vitamin b3 and nutritional yeast would it give them an over dose ? Or it’s just perfectly fine??? I’m picking up new ducklings this weekend but I am trying to make sure for everything !:)

By adding vitamin b3 and nutritional yeast would it give them an over dose ? Or it’s just perfectly fine??? I’m picking up new ducklings this weekend but I am trying to make sure for everything !:)
Congratulations! That'll be an exciting weekend! Ducklings are so much fun 😆

I'm not too worried about overdosing them on it, I know it's possible but I think they'd need a whole lot more niacin than the amount I'm giving them... My nutritional yeast only has 46mg niacin per 1/4 cup and I only give them maybe a tablespoon on their food per day altogether, so they only get about 1/6 of a tablespoon which has barely any niacin in it... They go nuts for it though, they absolutely love the taste of it, so that's why I add it for them.

I only had to start adding the Vitamin B Complex because I noticed that they started having walking issues... I had them on Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles which is supposed to have enough niacin for ducklings but clearly wasn't enough for some of my gals. If you get a feed formulated for ducklings or waterfowl you might not even have to supplement with additional niacin at all since it should have enough.

Good luck with your new ducklings!!!

Back
Top Bottom