Duckling bleeding while getting feathers.

Tarahanne

Chirping
Jan 25, 2021
I have three ducklings. They are all getting their feathers now.
One of them is bleeding out of her feather shafts. I have never had this with my previous ducks. Is this normal.
Also, the other two ducklings keep pecking at her bleeding feathers. Should I separate them?

I have three ducklings. They are all getting their feathers now.
One of them is bleeding out of her feather shafts. I have never had this with my previous ducks. Is this normal.
Also, the other two ducklings keep pecking at her bleeding feathers. Should I separate them?
yes but let them see each other . put some kind of screen in between. at least until she stops the bleeding.

One of my ducks is particularly interested in developing feathers and pecked her sister when they were babies and growing feathers. Now that she is one, when one of my older birds is molting she can't keep herself from giving a little peck to their quills as they come in. As a result I have had one of my ducks covered in blood and had to bring her in, apply septic powder to stop the bleeding, and then separate the ducks. I think particular ducks are just more interested in the strangeness of developing feathers and peck because they don't know what it is. Not their fault, just makes more work for you as the keeper to watch out for it and prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom