Duckling born with spread legs

HeyMayMay

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2023
Hi all. I had my first ever ducklings born yesterday on day 31. Two came out on the morning and faired well. The late arrival happened at about nine last night. He is still connected to the egg and has some yolk sack. He was so tired last night but today he’s able to sit up and loves to chat with me. But his legs are splayed almost and I’m not sure if it’s because he’s still connected to the sack and shell or if there is a problem. He is still in the incubator and hasn’t accepted water however I’m too scared to leave any in there where he is tired and wasn’t staying upright well yesterday.
Any advice or input?

Attachments

• FC335489-F461-4E32-9F7E-8186E229220D.jpeg
    FC335489-F461-4E32-9F7E-8186E229220D.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 41
Has the cord dried and disconnected yet? Otherwise you may need to put it in a cup to hold it still until yolk is absorbed.
You may also need to tape the legs to help splayed legs. Lots on info on how to do this if you do a search. I know they look really awkward when this is done but they adapt well.
No, still connected but looking very skinny and dry. He also absorbed most of the yolk that was still connected last night but there’s about a pencil eraser size of what I think is yolk still connected directly to his navel. He really is chatty and I know wants company but I’m worried he will get hurt and needs to be rid of his tag along shell first.

Back
Top Bottom