Duckling breathing funny

That baby’s crop looks really full-
Is there any odor coming from its mouth?
And, do you have appropriate chick grit available to the babies?
If not, grab some #1 grit for them and allow free access to it
I also highly recommend tossing some coconut oil in the freezer and getting that baby to eat some bits, even if you have to pop them in the beak- maybe 1/2 (half) “pea” sized pieces x 2-3 pieces.
Wait a half hour ish and then gently massage the crop from the bottom towards the top.
It might “vomit” some water if the crop is impacted- don’t panic.
After the first treatment, you can often massage the crop first and follow w the cold pieces of coconut oil.
Just repeat the coconut oil and gentle massage at least twice a day for 3 or so days ... and please keep us posted!

Last edited:
That baby’s crop looks really full-
Is there any odor coming from its mouth?
And, do you have appropriate chick grit available to the babies?
If not, grab some #1 grit for them and allow free access to it
I also highly recommend tossing some coconut oil in the freezer and getting that baby to eat some bits, even if you have to pop them in the beak- maybe 1/2 (half) “pea” sized pieces x 2-3 pieces.
Wait a half hour ish and then gently massage the crop from the bottom towards the top.
It might “vomit” some water if the crop is impacted- don’t panic.
After the first treatment, you can often massage the crop first and follow w the cold pieces of coconut oil.
Just repeat the coconut oil and gentle massage at least twice a day for 3 or so days ... and please keep us posted!
So she seems a little better today. I gave her ivermectin pour on and also the water with garlic in it. She was still breathing a little weird today but not like she was yesterday. She seems to be slowly getting g better. She still eats and drinks and runs with the others so I'm hoping she can over come this.

how did you do the Ivermectin pour on? Did you do just a couple of drops on the back of her neck or some thing? I’m asking because this is some thing I’ve considered but I’m afraid to try. I read conflicting reports. And some say that it can be harmful to ducks. But I do use the sheep drench ivermectin topically on my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom