Duckling, can't stand up head shaking?

amgarden

Hatching
Jun 3, 2020
Hello, I have a day old duckling who hatched late, she was so still I thought she was dead at first but I put her under a heat lamp and forced some water with apple cider vinegar and she sprung to life and started chirping. At first she couldn't even lift her neck at all but it appears she can for short amounts of time, what worries me is her head is shaking and bobbing non-stop and she can't stand up right, (although she's trying alot). Any one know what the cause could be??
I attatched a vid below!!
Thanks much!

Hello, I have a day old duckling who hatched late, she was so still I thought she was dead at first but I put her under a heat lamp and forced some water with apple cider vinegar and she sprung to life and started chirping. At first she couldn't even lift her neck at all but it appears she can for short amounts of time, what worries me is her head is shaking and bobbing non-stop and she can't stand up right, (although she's trying alot). Any one know what the cause could be??
I attatched a vid below!!
Thanks much!
you have to put the video on YouTube or Vimeo first then copy and paste the link here.

First off don’t force water. Just dip tip end of bill so she get the sensation of water. She should start to drink. Don’t ever force liquid or feed it can cause them to aspirate. She looks pretty good, flatten the towel out so she doesn’t stumble over the lumps and hoping another day she’ll be running around.if you have poultry Nutri drench you can put a few drops along her bill it’s really good for getting them started in the right direction. :welcome

Last edited:
First off don’t force water. Just dip tip end of bill so she get the sensation of water. She should start to drink. Don’t ever fire liquid or feed it can cause them to aspirate. She looks pretty good, flatten the towel out so she doesn’t stumble over the lumps and hoping a another day she’ll be running around.if you have poultry Nutri drench you can put a few drops along her bill it’s really good for getting them started in the right direction. :welcome
First off don’t force water. Just dip tip end of bill so she get the sensation of water. She should start to drink. Don’t ever fire liquid or feed it can cause them to aspirate. She looks pretty good, flatten the towel out so she doesn’t stumble over the lumps and hoping a another day she’ll be running around.if you have poultry Nutri drench you can put a few drops along her bill it’s really good for getting them started in the right direction. :welcome
Oh! Goodness I may have misworded that I was in such a hurry to type, I didn't really force her to drink, I did infact just dip her beak a few times in water and she started to drink water, I am on my way to get some Nutri drench now, will keep an eye on her for the night and hope she's up in the morning thanks much for your input!

Hi, there!

Just checking into see how your bird is doing. Updates to these threads are very useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom