Duckling care not found in Search!! Need advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4-H chicken mom, Apr 3, 2009.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have been doing some searching but can't find any info. on care for ducklings that are with the adults. My Black East Indies eggs are hatching. Will get pics soon. My question is how do you feed and care for new ducklings with the parents around? The adults are on Purina 's Layena. Is that suitable for ducklings? If I put in a Flockraiser in the pen, the adults will just eat the food. Would that be OK? [​IMG] I am new to the duck thing. I just got the parents last spring and now the have babies of their own. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The ducklings need to be kept separate from the adults. The adults will likely attack them except for the momma.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I separate my duckling because they get different food. I give them unmedicated chick feed--make sure it is unmedicated. Tractor Supply carries it. Ducklings are VERY messy! You'll want to set up a bin of some sort and a heat lamp on one side. I always line paper towels in the bottom so they don't get spraddle leg from slipping. Then water and feed off to the other side. Usually at about 6-8 weeks they can come off heat. If by chance your ducklings do get spraddle leg, it can easily be cured. [​IMG] Good luck!

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    No Layena is not suitable for ducklings they need a Starter or a Start & Grow feed for at least the first 3 weeks. Mama can eat it too since she needs a boost after setting on a nest all that tiime. it takes a lot out of them with just a quick feed and drink and back on the eggs, no exercise to speak of.
    I would have isolated her and her nest from the rest of the flock when she started to set if at all posible. I would keep her isolated for at least 3 weeks after hatch till the ducklings are well started and she has gained enough strength to protect her babies. after the first 3 weeks I would carefully let her rejoin the flock and start mixing any remaining starter feed in with the regular feed.~gd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by