Duckling Care?

lillypad268

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Anybody have a good site or link to a thread with basic duckling care? the feed store said to put them on turkey starter... but I was wondering should I medicate them as well?

Most medicated feed is actually okay for waterfowl now. The ingredients that were fatal are no longer used. However, I would be concerned with using Turkey starter because that is high in protein which could lead to angel wing

Have these ducklings been left alone to fend for themselves? The ducks here all have mothers, we don't feed them anything, we let the mother take care of them.

Have these ducklings been left alone to fend for themselves? The ducks here all have mothers, we don't feed them anything, we let the mother take care of them.
the ducklings arrive tomorrow, they're gonna be in a brooder. I have two chicks in a separate brooder, eventually they will meet each other. I have chick food; medicated and unmedicated. Should I mix some unmedicated chick food with turkey to bring down to protein?

Turkey waterfowl starter crumbles (27% protein if I recall) was all I could find, so I added 1 part chopped rolled oats (not instant) to 4 parts crumbles to cut protein to 20% or so. Storey's Guide recommended that and it seems to have worked out.

Back
Top Bottom