Duckling curled up after hatching

Backyardducks_

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
This duckling hatched out around 12 hours ago and her navel was still open and there was some pink and light coloured flesh around it, I’m pretty sure it was what she hadn’t absorbed yet so I left her in to finish closing up. I had another duckling with the same problem and I put a drop of water and bedadine on his navel and it closed up within 10 minutes. When I checked on the duckling again it didn’t close up so I got a q tip and warm water and gently dapped a little bit on the navel to get it wet and then I put her back in the incubator and it seemed to help it’s been going in slowly and now is almost a little dried up bump but she’s still curled up and acting as if she still isn’t ready does anyone know what I can do to save her or will it just take a little more time? She’s still chirping and kicking her feet and opening and closing her beak.

When I have hatchlings with navels that aren't fully closed (and especially if there's still yolk to absorb), I like to put a dab of antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on the area and then put the hatchling in a small cup lined with a dry paper towel in the incubator to continue the absorption/closure process. This also helps prevent damage to the yolk sac from kicking, etc.

It can take a while for the yolk to absorb and the navel to heal. Occasionally, the navel closes but a small protrusion still remains. In those cases, I keep applying the antibiotic ointment periodically and the bump typically dries up and, eventually, falls off.

Your duckling may still just be weak from hatching right now and will hopefully grow stronger with time. When you move her to the brooder (when she's ready), offering a supplement like Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte & Vitamin, Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus, or Poultry Nutri-Drench may also help with her recovery.

Best of luck!

When I have hatchlings with navels that aren't fully closed (and especially if there's still yolk to absorb), I like to put a dab of antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on the area and then put the hatchling in a small cup lined with a dry paper towel in the incubator to continue the absorption/closure process. This also helps prevent damage to the yolk sac from kicking, etc.

It can take a while for the yolk to absorb and the navel to heal. Occasionally, the navel closes but a small protrusion still remains. In those cases, I keep applying the antibiotic ointment periodically and the bump typically dries up and, eventually, falls off.

Your duckling may still just be weak from hatching right now and will hopefully grow stronger with time. When you move her to the brooder (when she's ready), offering a supplement like Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte & Vitamin, Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus, or Poultry Nutri-Drench may also help with her recovery.

Best of luck!
It was absorbed when she hatched just a big open navel it’s gotten smaller now and is dried up but her eyes are barley open and she just lays there and opens and closes her beak and yawing but she has a happy little chirp
image.jpg
image.jpg

You know all new borns need to stay warm 99.5 for 3 days, it's for all there body functions to set in. And very less handling during that period.

You know all new borns need to stay warm 99.5 for 3 days, it's for all there body functions to set in. And very less handling during that period.
I know that I have the incubator at 99.6 and I’ve only been taking her out to but the treatment on her navel and to post the pictures but it was for a second my other ducklings that hatch fine go into the brooder as soon as there fluffy witch is around 91 and they were all fine

Back
Top Bottom