Duckling Disappeared!!

chardin29

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
I rescued three wild ducks last night when their mom abandoned them for over an hour. I put them in a brooder, the same ones my other baby ducks and baby chicks were in when I first got them. I gave them food and water and a heat lamp. When I left for work this morning all three were in there, but when I got home one was gone. The brooder is in the chicken coop, which has a fence around it and is locked up. There is no way they could escape this brooder. They are only days old and can still barely walk. There is a latch at the top and is about three feet deep. The only animals in and out are chickens. What could have happened to this poor duckling?

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
Is there a lid on the brooder? Some ducklings are amazing jumpers. If the fence around the coop has gaps bigger than an inch or two, if it's as young and small as I am picturing, the duckling could have gotten out.

chardin29

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
Is there a lid on the brooder?  Some ducklings are amazing jumpers.  If the fence around the coop has gaps bigger than an inch or two, if it's as young and small as I am picturing, the duckling could have gotten out.

chardin29

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015

There is a lid that latches shut. The bottom of the fenced in area has chicken wire around it about two feet. Here is a picture of the babies from yesterday.

Divine Ducks

Hatching
May 22, 2015
I have a very special bond with Gracie . She will be 1year old 6/9/15. & She started laying in December 2014. George & Gracie were inseparable. But on night in February this year, some critter made a Pekin duck dinner out of George. Gracie had never been by herself...she was very lost. I started spending time with her. Golly! What a personality! She is so much fun! We just received 11 Pekin ducklings.they aren't even 1week old. Gracie is really going to be happy!
I want to raise these organically. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom