Duckling Disappeared!!

chardin29

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
I rescued three wild ducks last night when their mom abandoned them for over an hour. I put them in a brooder, the same ones my other baby ducks and baby chicks were in when I first got them. I gave them food and water and a heat lamp. When I left for work this morning all three were in there, but when I got home one was gone. The brooder is in the chicken coop, which has a fence around it and is locked up. There is no way they could escape this brooder. They are only days old and can still barely walk. There is a latch at the top and is about three feet deep. The only animals in and out are chickens. What could have happened to this poor duckling?

Is there a lid on the brooder? Some ducklings are amazing jumpers. If the fence around the coop has gaps bigger than an inch or two, if it's as young and small as I am picturing, the duckling could have gotten out.

Is there a lid on the brooder?  Some ducklings are amazing jumpers.  If the fence around the coop has gaps bigger than an inch or two, if it's as young and small as I am picturing, the duckling could have gotten out.

There is a lid that latches shut. The bottom of the fenced in area has chicken wire around it about two feet. Here is a picture of the babies from yesterday.

I have a very special bond with Gracie . She will be 1year old 6/9/15. & She started laying in December 2014. George & Gracie were inseparable. But on night in February this year, some critter made a Pekin duck dinner out of George. Gracie had never been by herself...she was very lost. I started spending time with her. Golly! What a personality! She is so much fun! We just received 11 Pekin ducklings.they aren't even 1week old. Gracie is really going to be happy!
I want to raise these organically. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom