Duckling due any day. . . Now what?

hearthofthehome

Chirping
Jan 16, 2019
My daughter is watching over our Indian runner duck who has been sitting on eggs and it’s nearly time. Our plan is to bring the drake into a pen we have in the garage so he isn’t a danger to the ducklings. Will she be ok outside? It was 40 last night. We are thinking maybe once they are all hatched we will swap the drake with mom and babies to keep an eye on them. Is that a good idea? Or is she better off outside? We do have multi flock ready for feed for them. Never done this before! Also, she wants to sell the ducklings. Is it best to do day old or wait? What would Cayuga ducklings fetch? 10 eggs are from our Cayuga pair. Thanks so much!

I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer at least one.

The ducklings can be sold at about a day old. If I were selling ducklings, I may wait a day just to make sure they're stable; but it's up to you.

What would Cayuga ducklings fetch?
I see them occasionally in my area around $7-$8 for a duckling. I just did a craigslist search and found the below (out of area) ad, although it is more expensive than ads more local to me. Not to say it's a bad price as I don't actually know. I just follow the local offerings normally.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190529-234857_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20190529-234857_Opera.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 6
Hello..If being hatched by a Momma I always allow her to raise the babies. She sat for 28 days to get the babies. The babies will be imprinted to Momma and her to the Ducklings. She will begin to wean them at around 6 weeks old and that's when I sell mine.
I put my Hens into a nursery pen right after hatching and she remains there till Ducklings are ready to be weaned. I allow her to free range with the flock when Ducklings are 3 weeks but don't house them together at night.

Usually around the 3 week mark my mamas are beginning to tire and have pretty much taught their ducklings all they need to know so much of it is instinctual anyway. So if you decided to wait and let mama enjoy the fruit of her labor then I'd say 3 weeks on should be fine. I'd have your daughter print up a care sheet for perspective buyers that way they know what to feed and how to care for their new ducklings. And it gives your daughter responsibility too. To actually have a Runner duck go broody is pretty special. To watch her with her ducklings is special too. She can get some care info from here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/duckling-care-brooder-ideas.64854/

Back
Top Bottom