Duckling feed that can be fed to mom too?

It seems that everyone hatches their ducklings with an incubator these days, so I can't seem to find a thing on what they need when they're with their mum. I have a chick feeder. Can I use that to feed them?

It seems that everyone hatches their ducklings with an incubator these days, so I can't seem to find a thing on what they need when they're with their mum. I have a chick feeder. Can I use that to feed them?
Same as the mum, feed and water.. just in containers in which they can reach.. i actually just use a clay pot saucer for feed and then stick one under the chick waterer to sturdy it more.

Same as the mum, feed and water.. just in containers in which they can reach.. i actually just use a clay pot saucer for feed and then stick one under the chick waterer to sturdy it more.

Well, see, that's simple. I have a perfect water system and feed system, but what's Alexis gonna do? If the openings for them to eat are small enough that they can't get in, she won't be able to get her beak in. But if I get ones sized for her, the ducklings will drown.

Well, see, that's simple. I have a perfect water system and feed system, but what's Alexis gonna do? If the openings for them to eat are small enough that they can't get in, she won't be able to get her beak in. But if I get ones sized for her, the ducklings will drown.

You have two sizes, i kept a bucket of water for mama(too tall for a duckling to get too) and feed they can share the same shallow container or add two.. or a larger size for mama duck just depends on what you choose to do.

Last edited:

I just had 2 Mama call ducks hatch ducklings - 1st time for me and them. Both Mama's are in different pens - away from the other ducks - and hatched within 4 days of each other. I started the babies on TSC starter/grower crumbles which are about 20% protein, and let the Mama's have their regular food since the dish was too high for the babies to eat from. I also used the mason jar waterer. Now that they are around 2 wks old (ducks grow fast), I took out the pellet food that the Mama had been eating and feed everyone flock raiser, also from TSC. On about day 3, I put a large flower pot plastic saucer in the pen, filled it with water and also added a little brick for the babies to exit gracefully. It was super cute watching them swim and dip in the water but not deep enough for them to drown. I did let the one duck's mate meet the little ones and he seemed a bit overwhelmed, but didn't try to harm them. He actually sleeps in the pen with them each night. But I think that depends on your flock - he just happens to be very committed to his mate. I know it will soon be time to begin integrating everyone as I can tell the Mama's are getting a bit restless not being able to roam free. But, I'm a nervous Mama too!

Good luck and enjoy the little ones!

I just had 2 Mama call ducks hatch ducklings - 1st time for me and them. Both Mama's are in different pens - away from the other ducks - and hatched within 4 days of each other. I started the babies on TSC starter/grower crumbles which are about 20% protein, and let the Mama's have their regular food since the dish was too high for the babies to eat from. I also used the mason jar waterer. Now that they are around 2 wks old (ducks grow fast), I took out the pellet food that the Mama had been eating and feed everyone flock raiser, also from TSC. On about day 3, I put a large flower pot plastic saucer in the pen, filled it with water and also added a little brick for the babies to exit gracefully. It was super cute watching them swim and dip in the water but not deep enough for them to drown. I did let the one duck's mate meet the little ones and he seemed a bit overwhelmed, but didn't try to harm them. He actually sleeps in the pen with them each night. But I think that depends on your flock - he just happens to be very committed to his mate. I know it will soon be time to begin integrating everyone as I can tell the Mama's are getting a bit restless not being able to roam free. But, I'm a nervous Mama too!

Good luck and enjoy the little ones!

Oh, my! They're precious! My ducks are gray, white or black, so I'm hoping for a black one. I lost my only black female a while back. :-(

My drakes......I don't know if they will be able to meet the little babies for a while, once they hatch. They aren't the laid back or sweet kind of drakes.
I heard about those mason jar waterers, and they are very clever. I might use one, or I might use a water thingy that I found on a post on BYC. It's like, you get a cool whip tub and cut an oval out of the lid, stick a rock in the bottom to weight it, fill with water and put the lid back on. Then, as one person mentioned above, I'll get a big bucket for her that's too tall for them. You all have been most helpful. My Daddy is finally finishing a more secure duck pen tomorrow. He built it with ducklings in mind, so they should be really safe. It's giant, predator proof and has a door lock so tight I can barely get it off! It'll be a perfect place for my babies to grow until they're ready for the creek and outside world. You have given me great ideas for a "pool" until they can leave the pen and great food ideas too.

Thanks again (Again as in, the billionth time!), everyone! When they hatch, I'll be all ready!

Good luck, hope it works out well for you! If it does.. pictures.. we all love pictures lol

Oh, of course! If I get ducklings, the whole world will see them! I'll make sure to post as soon as I can (when they hatch.....If they hatch. I'm starting to doubt whether or not they even will..)

Oh, of course! If I get ducklings, the whole world will see them! I'll make sure to post as soon as I can (when they hatch.....If they hatch. I'm starting to doubt whether or not they even will..)
When is hatch day?
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom