Duckling Feed

Pheasant283

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
SD
Looking into getting a few ducklings. What kind of starter can I feed them? Can I feed them chick starter? Thanks

There's no reason not to use medicated chick starter. I would not cut the feed with grain. You're chnaging the protein level and altering the amino acid balance which isn't good for the duckling.

Clint

Quote:
well the ducklings that are raised by their mamas don't get starter- they only get scratch and whatever else they can find... and what about ducklings in the wild?? I think people spend too much time worrying baout amino acid (whatever that is) and protein levels...

I think as long as they are happy and are growing just fine it doesn't really matter. I use un medicated because it is cheaper.

We have been mixing for the past 2 months and haven't had any problems.

they only get scratch and whatever else they can find... and what about ducklings in the wild??

Both are eating large quantities of invertebrates that have a balanced amino acid ration. In a penned situation where they don't have access to inverts, they will suffer. That's a big reason why ducklings in the wild eat almost entirely inverts for the first few weeks and then shift to seeds after fledging.

Clint

I've use unmedicated chick starter with the last two batches. Neither group has grown as fast as the first, which got a higher protine game starter...that is until the middle group got thrown out of my basement and into the woods--the sweeds in that group about doubled in size the last week eating crumbles befor bed in the coop and what ever they can find durring the day.

Back
Top Bottom