EmilyWhite

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
HomeConversations>
Help! Sick duckling, new to byc
Edit ConversationMark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
  1. 2 minutes ago

EmilyWhiteNew Egg
    I have 4 mallards that are about 5 to 6 weeks old. 3 have almost completely feathered out and tripled in size. 1 has stayed half the size of the others and hasn't grown any feathers yet. Today it was acting very slow, it would allow it's foot to stay folded over while standing. It stumbled some. An came right under my hand to eat ( they are still running from me an will eat after I move back). They are in a pallet sized pen with a home built pool and box. They will be moved to something bigger soon. The only thing I've done differently is I got behind a few days changing there hay out so there pen got nasty. When I checked on it this afternoon it was laying under the small steps to the pool.. What could be wrong or what could i do? I'm currently feeding them chick starter as I got 24 chicks within the same week I got the ducks. The chickens do get in there pen but they haven't seemed stressed about it.
After doing research I kno I Need to give niacin. How much? Can I give too much? Is ware milling medicated chick starter grower ok for them? It is medicated with bacitracan methylene disalicylate. I have 24 chicks so this is just more logical for me or do u need to swap to another chick starter?

The medicated chick feed may be a concern. As far as I know, amprolium is said to be okay, though many people don't use medicated feed for ducklings as it is not necessary. But what you are saying is in the feed does not sound like amprolium.

Storey's Guide says use 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water for several weeks. Plain niacin, not timed release or no-flush. If you cannot find that, you coukd try B Complex, and use the amount of niacin as a guide.

Nutritional yeast is another option. People often use a tablespoon nutritional yeast per cup of food just as a standard duckling diet - you may want to double that.

Improvement is often seen within a few days.

Meanwhile, if at all possible, a good duck vet is best. Ducklings can survive rough situations if they get the right help in time.

I can't get in touch with any vets in my area.. I keep getting "they'll give you a call" an never get one. I purchased some non medicated chick feed today. I also can't find the right niacin or yeast at wal mart I'm going to try feed stores (there are no healthy food stores nearby). In the mean time is there any niacin rich treats I can give to 5 an a half wk old ducklings? I have grit but haven't offered it to them since they've been on chick starter only. Ther are in a enclosed pen with no access to grass, bugs, etc...

HomeConversations>
Help! Sick duckling, new to byc
Edit ConversationMark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
  1. 2 minutes ago

EmilyWhiteNew Egg
    I have 4 mallards that are about 5 to 6 weeks old. 3 have almost completely feathered out and tripled in size. 1 has stayed half the size of the others and hasn't grown any feathers yet. Today it was acting very slow, it would allow it's foot to stay folded over while standing. It stumbled some. An came right under my hand to eat ( they are still running from me an will eat after I move back). They are in a pallet sized pen with a home built pool and box. They will be moved to something bigger soon. The only thing I've done differently is I got behind a few days changing there hay out so there pen got nasty. When I checked on it this afternoon it was laying under the small steps to the pool.. What could be wrong or what could i do? I'm currently feeding them chick starter as I got 24 chicks within the same week I got the ducks. The chickens do get in there pen but they haven't seemed stressed about it.
After doing research I kno I Need to give niacin. How much? Can I give too much? Is ware milling medicated chick starter grower ok for them? It is medicated with bacitracan methylene disalicylate. I have 24 chicks so this is just more logical for me or do u need to swap to another chick starter?
Your medicated chick started is fine for them. Bacitracin is safe for all poultry, as is amprolium.

Your medicated chick started is fine for them. Bacitracin is safe for all poultry, as is amprolium.

Your the first person that has told me this.. I've been told aprolium is safe. But if this feed is ok, what do you Think is making him lame? Thou he seems some better today.. I still don't want It to happen again

I would start adding a tiny sprinkle of chick grit to the feed now. You could consider making a smoothie. This is just an idea, nothing scientific.

You could blend a tablespoon of peas and a teaspoon of tuna (fresh or canned in water with no added salt), those have niacin. And if you blend it up, I think the lack of grit will not be a problem, since grit is used for chewing. Generally, animal products (bugs, worms, etc.) have niacin. But without grit first, that would risk serious problems.

More protein will give a little extra pungency to the manure. But might help the littles do better. Some poultry vitamins in their water twice week would help, too, if it's nutrition they need. There is Sav-a-chick and Gro-gel, too.

Your the first person that has told me this.. I've been told aprolium is safe. But if this feed is ok, what do you Think is making him lame? Thou he seems some better today.. I still don't want It to happen again
I have raised hundreds, maybe even over a thousand ducklings on feed medicated with bacitracin. Bacitracin is an antibiotic used in feed allegedly to help prevent necrotic enteritis.

Back
Top Bottom