1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling flipping over when startled.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jbrownie80, Apr 12, 2017.

1. jbrownie80

jbrownie80 Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Pocatello,Idaho
    I have a, I'm guessing 3 week, old duckling the flips over on her back when startled. If I right her she lays her neck back against her back for a few minutes then is fine. I usually move her to a seperate area until she calms. Tonight she kept trying to jump out of the tote so she seems fine. What could this be?[​IMG]
    She is the black duckling and is fine now.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Ducks are like people, some are just weird.

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like a mild case of wry neck, actually... some of the mild cases don't present unless triggered, like getting startled so she jerks her head up and it just continues backward...

Give her a few drops of Nutridrench a coupke times a day for a few days, should help her out... also, what feed are you giving her? Regular formulated chick feed doesn't contain enough Niacin for ducklings, since they're prone to Niacin deficiency... best to either feed an all flock feed, like Purina Flock Raiser, or sprinkle brewers yeast (not baking yeast) on her food, 1 tsp per cup of feed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by