Duckling Food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TMarie, Mar 9, 2013.

1. TMarie

TMarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    I had a question about the food I bought for the duckling were getting tonight. It doesn't say "medicated" anywhere on it but I want to be 100% sure it's not medicated.
    It's Nutrena's Nature Wise Chick Starter Grower

On the back it says "Added prebiotics, probiotics, and yeast culture that support digestion" and "NO added antibiotics or hormones"

Is this the right stuff or should I head back to the store? I'm starting to doubt the guy who sold it to me.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This sounds like the right stuff to me.

Prebiotics are "non digestible food components that support overall health by promoting the activity of probiotic bacteria in the large intestine. Also called oligosaccharides." according to the free dictionary online.

Probiotics are helpful bacteria that belong in the gut.

Yeast are another type of microorganism that belong in the gut. This gets a little tricky because there are different kinds of yeast. But a quick look on the Nutrena site indicates it is brewer's yeast, which provides niacin.

You may want to sprinkle a little extra brewer's yeast on their food to increase the niacin, since ducklings need three times the niacin chicks do.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yes. That is fine.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by