Duckling Grit

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
Hello! I've read up on what I can for this, but I'm still worried. I have 3 ducklings and 2 goslings that are 4 days old (hatched Monday; arrived Wednesday). They're on Mazuri starter. They're on pine chips. I occasionally find them trying to swallow longer bits of thin wood strips. It seems early for grit, but I wonder if I should grind some chick grit finer and offer it now? I was planning to introduce fine grit and greens at a week initially. Any thoughts appreciated!

Get them off of shaving for a while. Usually around 2 weeks. Old towels can be shaken and washed and reused. rubber shelf liner same way. Puppy pee pads are another alternative. Then buy the thick large shavings.

Get them off of shaving for a while. Usually around 2 weeks. Old towels can be shaken and washed and reused. rubber shelf liner same way. Puppy pee pads are another alternative. Then buy the thick large shavings.
That won't be an option until tomorrow due to a recent dog incident, and lack of towels. Will they be ok? We're pretty rural.

That won't be an option until tomorrow due to a recent dog incident, and lack of towels. Will they be ok? We're pretty rural.
Yes they will be ok!!! Ducklings try and eat everything. A bit like babies int eh oral phase of development. But they learn to stop trying to eat things that are not food. You can sleep OK tonight, having them on shavings overnight will not harm them.

Yes they will be ok!!! Ducklings try and eat everything. A bit like babies int eh oral phase of development. But they learn to stop trying to eat things that are not food. You can sleep OK tonight, having them on shavings overnight will not harm them.
Thanks!

You don't want grit to be too fine or it will go right through their digestive systems. It needs to stay in the gizzard to do its job. Of course I'm not saying they should have big rocks by any means 😊 , but chick grit will be fine as is, in the next week or two. Feel free to share some pictures of your ducklings and goslings. I would LOVE to see them 😍

You don't want grit to be too fine or it will go right through their digestive systems. It needs to stay in the gizzard to do its job. Of course I'm not saying they should have big rocks by any means 😊 , but chick grit will be fine as is, in the next week or two. Feel free to share some pictures of your ducklings and goslings. I would LOVE to see them 😍
I'm so in love! They've been a blast so far. We also got 15 chicks. The ducklings think the goslings are mommas. The goslings are definitely the sweetest!

Attachments

• 20220519_162041.jpg
    20220519_162041.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220518_091942.jpg
    20220518_091942.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220519_133934.jpg
    20220519_133934.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220518_085101.jpg
    20220518_085101.jpg