Duckling has dry skin on feet

AmericanamamaNC

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
Hi everyone. My little duckling, Sprinkles, is 6 weeks old today! I noticed the skin on her legs and feet seems a little dry and wondered if a dab of coconut oil rubbed in would be ok. She lives inside currently due to her siblings getting ill and dying. It has been cold enough where we live that the heater is on in the house so I think the air is just a little drier than it was (my skin seems drier too) I just don’t want her to get itchy or have issues. Any suggestions or advise appreciated. 😊

Hi everyone. My little duckling, Sprinkles, is 6 weeks old today! I noticed the skin on her legs and feet seems a little dry and wondered if a dab of coconut oil rubbed in would be ok. She lives inside currently due to her siblings getting ill and dying. It has been cold enough where we live that the heater is on in the house so I think the air is just a little drier than it was (my skin seems drier too) I just don’t want her to get itchy or have issues. Any suggestions or advise appreciated. 😊
Do you have any pictures? Ducklings depends on age will shed there food skin so it can look very dry.

Do you have any pictures? Ducklings depends on age will shed there food skin so it can look very dry.
I don’t have a good pic of her foot. It isn’t bad, just reminded me of how a newborn baby will go through a couple of days of dry skin sometimes. She’s eating and drinking well, seems happy, wet alert and knows her people 😊 I’m probably just hyper attentive as we lost her siblings so I tend to notice every little thing now. I’ll keep an eye on it. I read online that a little flaking or shedding is normal. I just got worried and asked here before looking anywhere else. Thanks so much.

I have heard not to put oil on a bird's feathers, as it can interfere with their waterproofing. However, vets have told me to use bag balm (very greasy!) on my duck's foot before. My birds do have dry skin on their legs occasionally and I've never done anything about it. I suspect it is normal or resolves on its own. If you choose to moisturize your duck's legs I recommend using an edible oil. I might go with one that is liquid at room temp like olive or flax. (I say flax because my vet told me to put flax in my ducks diet.) I would use a tiny amount. And I would carefully watch my duck around water and colder temperatures just in case she preens some of that oil onto her feathers and interferes with her natural water and temperature proofing.

I agree, never really a good idea to put any large amount of oil, or ointment on their feathers, as with older birds it can strip the natural oils off their feathers subsequently causing wet feather. With young ducklings putting too much oil on the feathers can cause the same reaction, as well as possibly causing hypothermia since the ointments/oils will directly affect the thermoregulatory abilities of the fluff/feathers.

Putting it on their legs will be fine, since its just skin, and if it's dry, you can dab either coconut oil, vaseline, or as suggested by KaleIAm, olive or flax oil.

I don’t have a good pic of her foot. It isn’t bad, just reminded me of how a newborn baby will go through a couple of days of dry skin sometimes. She’s eating and drinking well, seems happy, wet alert and knows her people 😊 I’m probably just hyper attentive as we lost her siblings so I tend to notice every little thing now. I’ll keep an eye on it. I read online that a little flaking or shedding is normal. I just got worried and asked here before looking anywhere else. Thanks so much.
Your welcome! I’m sorry you lost her siblings!

Back
Top Bottom