Duckling has issues walking

Could you post a video of her? Looks almost like Wry Neck to me.
Thank you. She’s a bit wet from falling over but these are a couple of her this morning. I don’t understand why she’s having so many issues, I’ve been giving her brewers yeast since she was two days old and Have ensured that her feed is unmedicated. She is the only duckling that I’m having issues with, she was supposed to be crested so I’m unsure If that has had any affect. Or if was me when I assisted her hatch :(

I had one duckling a couple of years have this condition. I squeezed out one of the vit E capsules and gave it to her. It worked great and she was fine but she was just a day old so that might not work at this age.

I believe wry neck is a vitamin E deficiency but let's wait and see what @Isaac 0 says about this as I'm not even positive that's what this is.

Sorry about your duckling.

I have seen this "form" of Wry Neck before and in my personal opinion it's almost either likely due to a malposition during hatch which caused great muscular pull to one side of her neck causing the skeletal deformity you're seeing here, another good guess would be some type of genetic defect/trait that was passed on from her parent stock.

I haven't had good luck treating these types of birds sadly, but before I would do anything dramatic, I would start offering her some thiamine(B1) in the form of Cattle Liquid B Complex, and start administering vitamin E Human Soft Gel Capsules. How old is she? Looks around two weeks, but is probably older correct? You can give her around 1ml of the B complex a day, and 400iu of the vitamin E Soft Gel capsules a day.

Also, would be good to try to straighten her neck out a few times daily, and let her do some supervised bathing time.

I hope the vet has some suggestions is also. Poor baby looks so much like it wants to live . I do not think you did anything wrong! What do you mean she was suppose to be created?

Sorry about your duckling.

I have seen this "form" of Wry Neck before and in my personal opinion it's almost either likely due to a malposition during hatch which caused great muscular pull to one side of her neck causing the skeletal deformity you're seeing here, another good guess would be some type of genetic defect/trait that was passed on from her parent stock.

I haven't had good luck treating these types of birds sadly, but before I would do anything dramatic, I would start offering her some thiamine(B1) in the form of Cattle Liquid B Complex, and start administering vitamin E Human Soft Gel Capsules. How old is she? Looks around two weeks, but is probably older correct? You can give her around 1ml of the B complex a day, and 400iu of the vitamin E Soft Gel capsules a day.

Also, would be good to try to straighten her neck out a few times daily, and let her do some supervised bathing time.
Thank you so much, yeah she is 5 weeks old. I’ll definitely try that. I have some vitamin e capsules coming tomorrow and I’ll have a look around for that vitamin B complex now. I really want to give her a chance, she has so much character and doesn’t seem to be in any pain. She loves swimming so I’ll continue with that. Thanks again for your advice

I hope the vet has some suggestions is also. Poor baby looks so much like it wants to live . I do not think you did anything wrong! What do you mean she was suppose to be created?
Yeah I ordered the eggs from eBay, she was supposed to be a crested Indian runner. I now know not all crested eggs show the trait. I was very naive and didn’t look into the issues surrounding interbreeding and now wish I had been more selective

Yeah I ordered the eggs from eBay, she was supposed to be a crested Indian runner. I now know not all crested eggs show the trait. I was very naive and didn’t look into the issues surrounding interbreeding and now wish I had been more selective
While crested ducks may look cute I sure wouldn't order any on purpose. They are very prone to neurological issues....as you know now. Here is an article you may want to read concerning this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-truth-behind-crested-ducks.707110/

While crested ducks may look cute I sure wouldn't order any on purpose. They are very prone to neurological issues....as you know now. Here is an article you may want to read concerning this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-truth-behind-crested-ducks.707110/
Yeah unfortunately I wasn’t aware until it was too late, if I had have known I wouldn’t have gone with the breed either. It was my fault, I should have researched further. Thank you, I’ll be sure to read the article you provided

Back
Top Bottom